How Can I Give a User Group Permisions to a Page but NOT Allow them to see antyhing else in the Space

Elaine Gamble February 24, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page Restrictions

I have a contracting group within confluence and they do not have access to a space - but I am needing them to be able to access and view a page within a space they do not have permissions.  Is this possible?  If not - then what suggestions might you have so this person can view this page but not the space it sits in.

thanks so much

Elaine

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

Permissions in confluence works by restricting viewing/editing to groups/users. So dont think about page restrictions as "Don't allow this group/user to view this page", instead think about it as "Only allow this group to view this page".

In your example, say you have Group A and Group B (this is the group you only want to give permission to view one page)

You would give Group A permission to every page except that one page you want Group B to view. This way you have to be in group A to view every other page. This is how you would hide them all from Group B. Since that one page does not have any restrictions then anyone can view it, including group B. But to view all the other pages you have to belong to Group A.

Hope this helps and wasn't confusing.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

The easiest way to accomplish this is to place all the pages that you don't want group B to have access to under a parent page. Then you put a view restriction on that parent page for group A (meaning it is restricted to being viewed by group A). View restrictions are inherited from ancestor(parent/grandparent/and so on) pages. That way you only need to put the restriction on one page. Otherwise you would need to put a view restriction on every page in the space ... which gets cumbersome fast.

0 votes
Elaine Gamble February 24, 2016

This is confusing to me  - so let me see if I understand what you are saying - Group B is my contracting group and I want them to see one entire space - so we added this group to the over all space permissions area - but then on the second space this group B needs access to a ONE page only - so they should NOT be able to access anything else on this space - EXCEPT for the one page on this space. 

So - I think you are saying I would need to lock down every other page in this space to Group A so Group B (my contracting group can only view the one page) - is that correct.  I would assume this group would be able to access the main home page though - correct?

thanks so much for your time

Elaine

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2016

Yes, you have understood it fine.  You need to allow access to the space, then restrict what group B can see.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events