Hosted Confluence, screwed up space permissions

Dave Sanders October 3, 2013

So, without realizing it, I managed to remove ALL permissions from a space on the hosted Confluence. Now, I can view the space, but cannot administer anything on it.

I have several spaces in my install and some are visible by clients. To ensure that I wasn't accidentally exposing some clients to others' spaces, I was removing group based permissions and replacing them with individual permissions.

One space was created via JIRA so I wasn't listed as an individual user on the space. (Only System Administrator shows in the individuals) I removed the group permissions and before I could add myself in as an admin, I was locked out. (This happened without me hitting save, it saved behind the scenes, or saved when I went to add myself individually, saving the group changes BEFORE it added me.)

The space was new, so I'm not worried about deleting it and starting over - but there seems to be no way to do this. Is there a way for Atlassian support to do this? Or at least reset the default permissions? Or any other way to set these permissions? (from JIRA perhaps?)

Thanks. And now I know NOT to do that again.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Sanders October 9, 2013

This was fixed by an email to Atlassian support. They fixed my permission and it let me get back in to deal with the issue.

So, just be careful when removing permissions on things. :)

0 votes
HosseinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2013
hi, I think you can login with a user that belongs to confluence-administrator group and set the permissions back again. I would like to mention that confluence-administrator group users are the super users in confluence. hope this helps.
Dave Sanders October 4, 2013

I don't think so because my account _should_ be a super user account as I set up the service and it lists me as a system administrator everywhere. But I'm told that I have no permissions on that space now. Can't edit it, can't change settings, etc.

Unless there's a permission I need to go turn on somewhere...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events