• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • Hi, I have issues with opening downloaded attachments in Confluence(5.1.3) on IE8. Is this bug in IE8? Because I am able to open the downloaded files through HTTP, but not through HTTPS. Other than IE8 I am able to open files in other browsers.

Hi, I have issues with opening downloaded attachments in Confluence(5.1.3) on IE8. Is this bug in IE8? Because I am able to open the downloaded files through HTTP, but not through HTTPS. Other than IE8 I am able to open files in other browsers.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Yes, that's a bug in IE8.  I'm not sure IE8 is supported any more.

Davin Studer Community Champion Sep 19, 2014

5.1.3 supports IE8. 5.6 is the first that does not support IE8.

@Davin Studer I understand that. But what is the alternative for this?

Use a browser with less bugs. IE8 is pretty much deprecated already - MS are only really doing security patches for it.

Hi @Davin Studer @Nic Brough

We have Confluence 5.3.1 running on CentOS. 

As posted our issue regarding attachments download from IE8 and IE9 has been fixed.

We are now able to download all the attachments on Internet Explorer. 

Work Around :-

Apache Configuration File changes need to be done. 

Header was being manipulated by the apache proxy server for some reason.  Specifically the "Content-Encoding" header which should look like this "Content-Encoding: gzip" and it was being sent back looking like this "Content-Encoding: , gzip"  while not a big change that empty space plus the comma meant that IE was reading as the content it was receiving back is not compressed and moving down the save/open file logic.  Other browsers actually check the content of the file before attempting to move forward with it and if it is compressed it decompresses it for you.

Thank You!

Hi Team,

Thanks for your response.

I like to share good news with confluence 5.1.3

I am able to download contents from IE8 successfully.

This is achieved.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,527 views 25 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you