Having error (70007)The timeout specified has expired: proxy: error reading status line from remote server

Hendrik Meiffert February 5, 2014

Since this morning I receive this error :

(70007)The timeout specified has expired: proxy: error reading status line from remote server

I am using a Confluence Standalone version and we didn't change anything in our apache configuration. The other pages of that server are all running.

Can it be connected to the current problems on atlassian.confluence.com? I mean for example the addons etc are connected to them even though we have a standalone version.

Any ideas how to fix this problem ? I already put up the timeout etc. without success like this :

Keepalive=On retry=1 acquire=3000 timeout=600 proxytimeout 5400 timeout 5400

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

>(70007)The timeout specified has expired: proxy: error reading status line from remote server

Maybe it died? If you have confluence sitting under apache, and that is contactable, try connecting with a browser direct (and check what, if any proxy server you have set in your browser...) My guess is that the confluence instance is not responding.

If you have access to the server, check if there is confluence process running?

Also check the logs, if you see anything like OutOfMemory, DiskFull etc, can all be symptoms of a crashed confluence.

> Can it be connected to the current problems on atlassian.confluence.com? I mean for example the addons etc are connected to them even though we have a standalone version.

No, your addons are installed locally. Only checks for updates go there, and that wont break you if its down.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

depends onhow you installed it, there could be a script called from /etc/rc.local, or aservice in /etc/init.d/

"ps -ef | grep java" will list the java processes, check confluence isnt still running. Id be a little uncomfortable telling you how to kill processes if you dont already know, you may get the wrong one.

if confluence lives on its own box, the easiest way (if the installed did the job properly) is to just reboot the box.

i guess it died. So how to resurrect it ? using ubuntu 12.04 server, can you help me ? thanks

thank you for helping me.

there is a file called rc in my /etc/init.d/ folder and rc.local

the output of the java proceeses here :

1006 6526 1 1 2013 ? 1-23:31:48 /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre//bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/atlassian/confluence/conf/logging.properties -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/atlassian/confluence/endorsed -classpath /opt/atlassian/confluence/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/atlassian/confluence -Dcatalina.home=/opt/atlassian/confluence -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/atlassian/confluence/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
root 13420 10726 0 13:42 pts/0 00:00:00 grep java

ok i just stopped and started confluence. now i get an

Service Temporarily Unavailable

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

It may take time to start. Monitor your logs in JIRA_HOME/log?

the latest log is interesting in catalina.out:

SEVERE: Cannot start server. Server instance is not configured.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

Check diskspace, Check logs.

there is enough space and more than 1,5gb memory free. of 8gb.

i fixed the error in the server.xml and now started confluence. now my apache2 logs reports this :

(111)Connection refused: proxy: HTTP: attempt to connect ip adress failed

ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling worker for

Thank you so much for helping me !

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

trace the ip addresses and hosts involved. ifconfig on on your linux box, compare with attempted connect ip/host on apache box.

0 votes
Aivo Kuhlberg March 20, 2014

We saw the same errors for JIRA which runs behind Apache and authenticates to Crowd server in another physical machine. The problem was that the system clock of the machine which ran the crowd was off more that 20 minutes which caused these errors. Noticed also INVALID_SSO_TOKEN errors in JIRA log files when DEBUG option was turned on.

0 votes

ok , i have it back! thank you for support sir

0 votes

the confluence page now shows me a blank page. no error anymore.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events