Has anyone implemented a process to where users could request access to a space?

Deleted user October 26, 2016

We have an external facing Confluence site. We are going to be sending specific users the "invite user" link so that they can create their own account within Confluence. However, the space that they will need access to is confidential so we can't open it up to all users within the "confluence-users" group. 

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had this same issue and if there was a way for users that get the "not permitted" error to submit a "request access to space" email to the confluence admin?  

Thanks,

Lisa

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

When you go to a page you don't have access to, by default there should be an option on that page to request access from an administrator.

However (if I've understood your problem correctly) there's an easy way to avoid them having to request access:

1. Create a group and give it access to the confidential space.
  2. Add the new users to that group (as soon as you create a new user you can add them to a group, even if they haven't accepted the invitation yet).

Then when they login for the first time they should immediately have access to the confidential space without having to ask. 

Deleted user October 27, 2016

Thank you, but I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. 

I am not creating the user accounts. We are sending the "invitation link" to the users so that they can sign up for their own account. (See this documentation here). So I won't know when they have created their accounts unless I manually check every day.  So, the only group they will be added to is "confluence-users".

Since the space is locked down and will only allow specific people part of a specific group I will need to add those users to the group once they create the account. But, the problem I am having is that it is a somewhat broken process since they will need to let me know that they have created an account.  I was hoping that they could request access to the space (not page) so I would be alerted that they need access.  

I hope that makes sense!

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2016

Ah, ok, I see. Once you've logged in to Confluence, if you go to a page that you don't have access to view (by clicking a link, because Confluence does everything it can to hide spaces and pages you don't have access to) then it should have an access request option on it.

There is also an option in User Management > Sign up options called Send an email to site administrators when a new user signs up. If you want to be proactive then you could turn that on and provide access when you get the notification.

If you want them to specifically ask for access (e.g. if they don't have a link to the locked down space or if you feel that option is a bit....clunky) your best bet might be to provide a page where people can request access by adding a comment.

If I've still not understood then I'll apologise now smile

Deleted user October 28, 2016

Thanks Rob! The "User Management > Sign up options called Send an email to site administrators when a new user signs up" will work perfectly since I will have a list of users that need access to the space. I didn't realize that option was there smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events