Has anyone gotten HipGuru to work with Questions inside of Confluence Cloud?

Hi All,

I installed the HipGuru plugin in HipChat and pointed it to my Questions page inside of Confluence. I'm not getting any errors, but the plugin is not returning any information either.

If anyone has any advice, it would be most welcome.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Trevor,

Your confluence server must be accessible from Hipchat server. If you are using Hipchat server in the cloud, then you Confluence questions should be accessible in the cloud as well and with anonymous access (no authentication) as per instructions in the marketplace Hipguru add-on page or in the add-on configuration page in Hipchat server.

Your firewall could be blocking the access as well.

Well, I feel slightly ridiculous. Indeed, the default permissions for Questions (unlike everything else in Confluence) is private instead of public. I suppose checking in an unauthenticated manner would make sense.

Glad you have figured out - I will update the HipGuru configuration page about using a private Confluence Questions server in the next release. Were you still able to use it ? Is there any feature that you would like to see or get enhanced ?

Well, the page is now 100% public but /ask <whatever> still isn't returning anything. No errors, just...nothing. I'll definitely provide feedback once I can figure out what's going wrong but it looks pretty good on the outside.

Trevor, I will have some time next week to investigate your problem. You can send me your Confluence URL for testing if you want, to esoares@atlassian.com.

Hi Trevor, I detected an issue running HipGuru against a fresh Confluence Cloud instance which uses a newer version of Confluence Questions v2.x. I fixed the problem but haven't deployed it to Production yet. You can follow the progress in https://bitbucket.org/eduardo_soares/hipguru/issues/2/configuring-hipguru-with-private.

Hipguru is updated with the fix in Production.

This widget could not be displayed.

Bear in mind that you also need to make sure that both Confluence and Confluence Questions have anonymous view access:

• In administration/Confluence Questions/Permissions, give anonymous the view permission
  • In administration/Users & Security/Global Permissions, allow anonymous to use Confluence

Confluence authentication support is in the queue: https://bitbucket.org/eduardo_soares/hipguru/issues/3/implement-authentication-support-for

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

475 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you