Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP Status 500 - How do I recover my Confluence?

RW Network February 22, 2021

Was told to upgrade our AWS PostGress version from v9.5 to v12

Once that finished we can no longer connect to confluence.

We get the following - HTTP Status 500 - java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction; nested exception is net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection

I inherited this Confluence installation, and honestly know nothing about it - is there any way to recover it, or to pull the information (mostly older documentation about how our original company was set up) out of it to be imported into some other document collection?

What may be an interesting point, Our Jira install "seems" to use the same database, as the AWS RDS db name was jiraconfluence.db and the server that runs Jira and confluence is an AWS jiraconfluence AMI - would I possibly fix? or totally destroy? my chances of recovery if I rebuilt the AWS server from a snapshot?

I have the text of the full error if needed, I also have the content of my confluence.cfg.xml, but not sure how to "find" anything through that. 

# vi confluence.cfg.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<confluence-configuration>
<setupStep>complete</setupStep>
<setupType>custom</setupType>
<buildNumber>6441</buildNumber>
<properties>
<property name="admin.ui.allow.daily.backup.custom.location">false</property>
<property name="admin.ui.allow.manual.backup.download">false</property>
<property name="admin.ui.allow.site.support.email">false</property>
<property name="atlassian.license.message">AAABLg0ODAoPeNptkD1PwzAYhHf/CkssMKRKXARJJUtUSYZK/UBtgYXFmDeNJcepXtuF/Hucj0ogM Xi58z3n883RA136E2UpjbNFPF/cZzQvjpTFSUq2vvkA3FUvFtDyJCYFWInq7FRreN6aSnswEujtA fACeEeTmA533xf04AQ6QLpWEowFkiOIPlcIB7ynR3EasYwEjBPSbUUDfNl0FFuoNZEBPguyugB36 GEUJuaoTMFyI5TmoulmQ/IJAz/6Ek7WM9k2pLwI7YdiXgltJ9D0qGN3hqE432025T5fLddEj9ZrW NGHGAl848CIMLT8PivsrguyYUFKdngSRtmxZB9M+tbXk0O55eFECZunD+yRkal1VfD1qvjP+cX3R qtGOfgkzx5lLSz8/biU/AAWkpNnMCwCFEQROP8+dulzum1fdfEqog5+2T8VAhRkeAgJIIQn8BNLR KqQJMBxlkMa5w==X02f7</property>
<property name="attachments.dir">${confluenceHome}/attachments</property>
<property name="confluence.setup.server.id">B2GF-3R9I-16OX-QUYN</property>
<property name="confluence.webapp.context.path"></property>
<property name="hibernate.c3p0.acquire_increment">1</property>
<property name="hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period">100</property>
"confluence.cfg.xml" 32L, 2423C

I was hoping to be able to read the database tables or somehow pull data out to compile into a list of text files, or whatever.

It would probably be best to try to recover the Confluence if at all possile, and then copy files from there.

Thank You

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

Build 6441 looks like you are on Confluence 5.10 - is that right?

If it is, then you've got a big problem - that version does not work with Postgres 12.  You will need to re-install a supported version of Postgres, recover the data from the backup you took before the upgrade, then run Confluence against it.  Then you'll be able to upgrade Confluence to a version that enables you to go a bit further up in Postgres versions.  Still not 12 though, the latest version of Confluence only supports 9.6 and 10.

You might be able to take a backup of your postgres 12 and restore it back into a 9.3 version that can support Confluence 5.10 but I've not tried downgrading postgres that way so I don't know.

RW Network February 23, 2021

So if I were to create a new AWS server using a snapshot from before the database engine update, and restore a snapshot of the database from the same date, would that work as a "recovery" of the older system/database and allow me to recover my data?

I'm thinking that would work, but will need to do some research on how exactly to do that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Yes, assuming the database and application were all on it.  A snapshot image should be literally "everything", so it should be an easy restore!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events