Grant vs. Deny Permission Precedence

Which permission takes precedence at the Space Level in Confluence? Grant or Deny?

Example: UserA is in GroupA and GroupA has been granted Add Attachment privilege at the Space level. However, UserA has been denied the Add Attachment privilege as an individual at the Space level.

Will UserA be allowed to add attachments or will he not be able to add attachments?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Mar 06, 2013

Hi James,

from Atlassian Documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Users+and+Groups):

Overlapping group and user permissions

When a user is assigned more than one permission, the most powerful permission will prevail.

Further explanation:

• A user may be assigned a permission specifically to their username. They may also be assigned a permission by belonging to a group, or even several groups.
  • The user will then be able to perform all functions assigned to them.
  • So if a user is allowed to do something over and above what the group can do, the user will be able to do it. And if the group is allowed to do something over and above the specific permissions granted to the user, the user will still be able to do it.
This widget could not be displayed.

It's not really grant/deny in Atlassian products, it's more "deny, until allowed". Your user matches one rule that says "allow", so they can attach things. Specifically, their group says "allow", so they can do it. Doesn't matter about the individual settings.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

504 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you