Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail and other emails are "not from an allowed domain"?

David Brewer January 5, 2015

When new users try to register to help at https://stepweb.atlassian.net/admin/users/sign-up 

they are being told that "The email address provided is not from an allowed domain."

This occurs even for Gmail addressses, so I guess it must be a bug. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2015

Hi David,

This is likely due to your signup settings.  If you check https://stepweb.atlassian.net/admin/signup, make sure you don't have the Restricted domains option selected.

Cheers,

-dave

0 votes
Phillip M. January 31, 2015

Are there any domains that are always allowed? I am trying to sign up for an account at tshock.atlasian.net and this exact thing is happening even with my Gmail.

If there are no automatic exceptions, perhaps you (atlassian) should make one. I recommend either gmail (with an administrative option to explicitly restrict Gmail) or some trusted domain.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2015

This is setup by the admins of each individual instance.

Phillip M. February 1, 2015

Well yes I figured that much out. I meant that, in my opinion, the software should default to still allowing a single preset domain even if Restricted Domains is enabled,  I'm not sure how you would end up forgetting to include something on the whitelist if you enable it, but it's possible.

Anyway, I don't really know anything about the administration side of the software. I'm only a user as of this point, although that may change if I ever need something like this. After all, if the Minecraft's official issue tracker is JIRA, you must be half decent.

Dave
Atlassian Team
February 1, 2015

The issue with whitelisting those public domains is that it would be counter to the idea of restricting domains. Gmail has about 500 Million users; no admin would want to default signup to their instance to that pool. Your admin can set a list of accepted domains on the signup page referenced above.

Phillip M. February 1, 2015

Yeah, I understand. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking.

0 votes
David Brewer January 5, 2015

Great answer! Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events