Global Labels

Ed Fries January 19, 2014

New user, hosted service. We are planning on having 1 space for each client, we would like to create a list of global labels that are available in all spaces, is this possible? This older link states this is not possible, is that still the case?

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/88202/how-to-add-confluence-site-wide-labels

If labels don't exist across spaces what is the best practice or workaround? I see some posts for Jira and/or plugin scripts, I'm guessing these are not possible w/ the hosted version?

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Ed Fries January 20, 2014

Could depend on the definition of "global", above link says labels are global but do not cross spaces. Does global mean "available to all users" vs "personal labels"?

In my testing, when I create Label1 in Space1 I do not see that label auto-populate as an option to select when adding a label to a page in Space2? Does this test work for others?

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

It's my understanding that all labels in the same instance of Confluence are "global" labels.

Ed Fries January 20, 2014

Could depend on the definition of "global", above link says labels are global but do not cross spaces. Does global mean "available to all users" vs "personal labels"?

In my testing, when I create Label1 in Space1 I do not see that label auto-populate as an option to select when adding a label to a page in Space2? Does this test work for others?

Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2014

This could be an issue of a timing that you're seeing: if you create a new label, it will not auto-populate until the next time the content is indexed (at least, I think that's when labels get "indexed" and added to the label list). This can take up to 20 minutes or so, but you can trigger an index manually, too, in the admin.

Ann Summy July 8, 2016

I was wondering why after ten minutes my new label isn't populating.  I can't get a new dashboard filter set up because of this.  Can't believe it can take 20+ minutes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events