cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • Given that so much documentation is in the form of an example is there documentation on the values for "fields", etc mentioned in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/blog/2015/07/search-jira-like-a-boss-with-jql that can be used in a Jira filter?

Given that so much documentation is in the form of an example is there documentation on the values for "fields", etc mentioned in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/blog/2015/07/search-jira-like-a-boss-with-jql that can be used in a Jira filter?

Walter Budd May 3, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here.

Fields have values, some are pre-defined by admins and selected by users, some are free form, some can be set by non-admin users.  JQL clauses mostly take the form of "<field> <comparison> <value>" to get a list of issues that are based on the field values.

I suspect you have a good question here, but I'm not quite sure what it is.  I'm really sorry, but could you explain a little further?

Walter Budd May 4, 2016

I find a fundamental “spelling with a dictionary” problem with tool.  For “fields” I don’t know what all the possibilities are.  I know one is “epic link” but there appears to be no way to get a list of all possibilities.  I happened to try “labels” and found that I needed to spell and capitalize it as it appears in the Jira issue by experimentation.  As a user I am left with following examples used in the past or making guesses.  As a user I need a listing of the values for "fields" and any other parameters one can use in a JQL search so I can leave "the breadcrumbs" in my JIRA issues to fully utilize the options.  If this explanation doesn’t help I would suggest calling.

Bob Budd

Senior Electrical Engineer

Keurig/Grn Mtn Coffee Roasters

63 South Ave

Burlington MA 01803

O: 781-418-7570

M:  781-640-5109

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2016

There is no way we can tell you that.

A field is a data item that belongs to an issue.  In JIRA, fields can be of many types - dates, select lists, numbers, free-text, links to other issues, and so-on.  It's up to you what you put in those fields.  There's no way we can tell you what you've defined as the possible values for your fields.

I'm not sure what the complexity is here though.  To use JQL, you simply write questions about the fields you have.  Most clauses are of the form <field><operator><value>, so you can form questions like show me the issues where "field animal = penguin", or "project = ABC", or "assignee is not Dave" and so-on.  The JQL box will help you fill these in by trying to autocomplete both field names and values when it can.

Walter Budd May 4, 2016

This was going in the wrong direction.  I must not have been doing a good job of explaining the problem.  I understand that some of the categories I would want to search are defined by us so you can't construct a glossary.  I was unable to get a listing using autocomplete.  This turns out to be a problem with the tools such that when editing a JQL query in Confluence autocomplete does not work, entries must be case specific, etc. so there is no way to find out the choices.  I was shown in JIRA both autocomplete functionality and other methods for listing categories.  That is Confluence does not work like Jira, kind of like Microsoft tools.  Perhaps there is a setting to make the two work the same?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2016

It's just as much my fault - I was struggling to extract the intended meaning from your writing, and I missed the Confluence context completely.

I think you've run into the issue that while JIRA and Confluence are closely integrated, there's still holes in that integration.  Autocomplete in Confluence doesn't work (yet) because it's not querying JIRA closely enough to extract all the information it needs to be able to do autocomplete.  (JIRA's JQL entry can do it easily because it's the same server, whereas Confluence would have to pull everything over the link)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events