Full site admin not able to remove restrictions from a page

Steven Rhodes May 12, 2020

I am a site admin for Confluence Cloud. I have a space that has lots of page restrictions and have been given the task of cleaning up the restrictions. I am in an admin group that has space admin rights on this space, and my name is also given in the individual rights as admin.

I can see the list of restricted pages, but when i click any of the padlocks I get redirected to the page in question and told that I should request access from the owner.

You don't have permission to view this page

Hit the request access button and we'll find someone who can give you access.

If the page is under a page which is locked then I dont even get that option.

You don't have permission to view this page

This is because it's inheriting restrictions from a parent page. A space admin or the person who shared this page may be able to give you access.

I have clicked on literally every locked page in the restricted pages list and it gives me the same No permission screen. 

I dont expect to be able to see pages that are locked as an admin, but i do expect to be able to remove the restrictions, and right now, i cant. I have instead clicked on all the locks on all the pages that I can see in the restricted pages list and clicked 'request access'. Luckily, the user it goes to is still with the company otherwise we'd be in this 'solved' answer from a while back https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Why-would-a-full-admin-in-confluence-be-unable-to-see-a-page-due/qaq-p/332529

Now being able to see any sort of hierarchy in this restricted list is very frustrating, but not as frustrating as a feature that is clearly broken.

1 answer

0 votes
Steven Rhodes December 23, 2020

While yet again having problems with restricted pages in Confluence Cloud (this time a page not being listed in the Restricted Pages space admin page), I created a support ticket with Atlassian and it suggested I visit this page. The irony.

Stefan Salzl March 23, 2021

have there been any updates on your support ticket? faced with same problems :-/

Like Will likes this
Steven Rhodes March 23, 2021

Create a support ticket.

Meanwhile, you can try removing the restrictions by using the middle mouse button (or ctrl+click) on the lock icon of any restricted pages which should a) try to open the page in a new tab and b) remove the restriction. This may work.

As Joe Cross said on the linked issue: "The problem is that I have no idea where this page sits in our 10+ level-deep hierarchy, so I can't trace back to see where the permissions originate.  I am a space admin, so I can see any unrestricted page, but somewhere there is a restricted page with sub-pages that I can't get to."

This is the problem, along with people leaving the company and leaving behind a trail of page restrictions.

To be able to see where pages are locked and by who Atlassian are holding you to ransom for Confluence Premium: 'Upgrade to inspect permissions: Find out if users are being denied permissions from parent pages or the space. For tools to diagnose and fix permission issues, upgrade to Premium."

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events