File picker plugin that works with local server?

Christin Lai September 16, 2014

I would like to link files from our company server (e.g. \\server\folder\file).  I know this can be done with insert web link and file://server/folder/file code, but I would like to simplify this for my Windows user. Ideally, it would work like Ink File Picker, where the user can browse for the file and the link would be created automatically. 

Uploading it to the Confluence server is out of the question as the files are already accessible on the company server. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

1 answer

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

I don't see this even being remotely possible without custom development. Furthermore UNC paths are pretty much universally loathed by browsers today:

• IE requires them to be Intranet sites warning
  • FF has it disabled by default cross
  • Chrome requires an extension cross

All my companies I've worked with stopped using UNC paths to link files around when browsers stopped supporting them.

The UNC paths is the problem I'm running into. I'm surprised that Ink File Picker can be used on cloud service, but there's nothing similar that can run in a local environment. Your point on IE is interesting. I tried it on IE 9 but the only option I have is to download the file directly. What do you recommend to get around the UNC path issue?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

Well, hosting the files so they can be accessed via the web (internal or otherwise) would be your best bet. You could upload them to confluence (just an option!) or perhaps someone on your IT team can get the images available (served up) via a normal URI. Then you could embed, download, etc at will.

The image idea is a good thought. I'll go ask IT and see if there's anything they can do there... Thanks!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2014

No problem @Christin Lai

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events