Favourites is misspelled. Can I correct the spelling to favorites ??

Steve Johnson June 20, 2012

The US Spelling of favorites is favorites. How can I change this to be gramatically correct. It is a glaring typo to all who use it here.

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
kat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2012

Hi Steve!

I did a quick search for 'favourite' in the US language pack on Atlassian Translations, and it looks like it's been changed to favorite in most (if not all) places: https://translations.atlassian.com/dashboard/translate?lang=en_US#/48/0/0/ALL/ALL/favourite

The text you noticed in the admin page describes a new feature that we added in 3.5, and we haven't found any problems with the language detection so far. The confluence.browser.language.enabled property is a system property, and can be set to false by following the instructions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+System+Properties.

That process requires a restart though, so if you want to check that favorite is spelt correctly in the US language pack first, you can choose US English as the setting for yourself by going to /users/viewmysettings.action and changing the 'Language' setting.

If you ever find something spelt incorrectly, we'd love your contribution on Atlassian Translations - once you make a translation on the site you should be able to download a new US language pack with the fix immediately.

Let me know how it goes!

Anna

setting the java variable and restarting confluence seemed to work. I don't know why I had to restart the service.

thanks for the tips.

1 vote
Steve Matt August 6, 2015

These answers are still wrong. The information on this page is out of date by years & this problem is still not addressed. Does anyone, including Atlassian, have a simple, workable solution that doesn't require me to drag my dev team into this   confluence world?

0 votes
Larry Velez October 8, 2015

It seems that there are two related issues:

1) Confluence does not install with the US English language pack, I think this is a silly omission as it is pretty clear that US English is the dominant language on The Internet. As suggested here, it can be downloaded and then uploaded into Confluence as an add-on and then set to the default language.

2) The second issue is that there seems to be a known bug that has existed for years where Confluence will not detect the browser's language properly when the user/browser is using US English as their language. Confluence does not properly assign the US English language when it detects this - it uses UK English instead. Many people work around this by changing their JAVA-OPT/setenv.sh settings to force it to stop detecting the browser's language.

more info: https://ja.confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Confluence+and+Team+Calendars+for+Confluence+Do+Not+Detect+Browser+Language+Preference

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2012

If you are on a downloaded version, try using US English as the language.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Choosing+a+Default+Language

Thanks for the tip. I did notice that English (UK) was selected and English (US) was not in the list. Then I could see the "Atlassian Translations" link to download more languages, so I clicked it. I found English (US) and downloaded the .jar plugin.

Next I uploaded the plugin, and went back to languages and now I have English (US) in the list. I selected it and it is now highlighted.

BUT Still favorites is listed as favourites! I think it's misspelled in the US language pack.

Maybe this is also a clue. In the language configuration section of the Atlassian Admin, there is a passage reading:

This will only affect users if their browser does not send a language to Confluence, or if language detection is turned off by setting the confluence.browser.language.enabled property to false.

How do I set the browser.language.enabled property to false?? The logic behind the language detection may have a bug, so I'd like to disable that feature to see if the US English language pack is actually the culprit.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events