Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure when converting editor format to storage format: How can I rescue my unsaved data?

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

Hi,

We have Confluence 5.1.1 and got this error message when editing a page. Saving the page was not possible. What's the best way to rescue the data when the error occurs?

The behaviour has already been reported for instance in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-25944 and can have lots of reasons.

Cheers

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

Luckily this error occured only once and we hope this was the first and last time. If Confluence Source Editor is available, we can fix the problem, but if it was the initial editing and Source Editor is not around we have no solution so far. I tick the question off anyway because I think its no use to have it hanging around here in unanswered status.

ViswanathanR December 22, 2016

Hi Evelin,

I have source editor. How do we get this fixed. 

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2016

I am receiving this error today with Confluence 5.8.13

0 votes
Paul Wisner April 13, 2014

I was able to save my document by creating a new browser window and creating another confluence page. Then I pasted one section at a time from my unsaved document to the new window. I saved after pasting each section. With this method I could identify the section that was causing the save error and I only had to recreate that section.

The cause of the problem seemed to be related to dragging screen captures from my desktop into the document (OSX 10.9.2, Safari).

(I've used many wikis and this was my initial experience with confluence.)

Bruce Cannon April 15, 2014

I have had many problems with this, all related to pasting images, either from the web or from the clipboard.

I can reproduce the issue at will by pasting bad clipboard data. For example, copying an image to the clipboard from an image editor and then pasting it in, works. But copying the same image to the clipboard from Mac's Preview application, when pasting image does not show up but bad code is inserted somewhere.

And if I can't find the space character that holds that code, I can't save the page. Ever.

Arya Banerjee May 26, 2014

I'm coming across an error while trying to edit the Confluence (5.1.4) Resources Test Page. I think it arose in relation to copying and pasting a divbox that contained an image and another divbox. The error says "Failure when converting editor format to storage format," and then when I try to proceed from there I continually get an "Error saving draft" message.

This is what the Confluence log says after I replicate the issue:-

2014-05-26 13:24:30,951 WARN [http-8090-9] [confluence.tinymceplugin.rest.DraftsResource] save The supplied editor content could not be converted to storage format.
-- url: /rest/tinymce/1/drafts | userName: likwid1 | referer: https://likwid.nike.com/pages/editpage.action
com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlException: RuntimeException occurred while transforming editor format to storage format (java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlException: An error occurred while unmarshalling a link in the editor with the title Networks)

0 votes
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2013

Hello Evelin,

Some customers reportedly were able to retrieve data by using the Confluence Source Editor to tweak into the tags and remove the fault or retrieve the information which was not being saved.

As described below:

After receiving the error (and hence, being unable to save the page), I deleted what I thought might be the problem (the link), and then opened the Source Editor plugin to view the XML. The second paragraph, that had contained the link, had the following class attribute:

<p class="confluence-link">

I deleted the class attribute, returned to the rich text editor, re-created the link to the user name, and saved the page without further ado.

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

Hi Guilherme, thanks for your quick answer. We would have used Source Editor but we couldn't because the <> button was not available (but the user had the necessary permissions). It was a page that never had been saved before.

Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2013

Hello Evelin, not sure if you are aware, the Confluence Source Editor is an add on it can be installed from the Confluence admin, Add ons section, as described in this doco.

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

Hi, of course, it is installed and working. But as I mentioned we could not access it because the page had not been saved when the error occured and in this case you cannot usse it.

Atlassian Team
July 22, 2013

I see, thank you for clarifying. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events