Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to establish application link between JIRA server and Confluence server.

Jenna L_Esperance February 24, 2015

When trying to connect Confluence to JIRA, I get the following error under the JIRA URL text field.  

"Failed to establish application link between JIRA server and Confluence server.  For more information, please see troubleshooting guide in our documentation."

I have Confluence on one server and JIRA on another server, both housed in vSphere.  Using Telnet on each of those servers, I've confirmed the ports are open.  I've added Confluence as an Application on the JIRA admin site, referenced by IP/port.  

For what it's worth, I have successfully connected Confluence to another server that is running the Confluence SQL database.  

Any help would be appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

UPDATE

I connected Confluence to JIRA by bypassing the JIRA sync in the initial Confluence set up.

After I set up Confluence, I set up an admin user account in Confluence then followed these instructions to sync our JIRA contacts into Confluence:

1) Set up the JIRA user directory in Confluence:

• Choose Browse > Confluence Admin.
  • Click 'User Directories' in the left-hand panel.
  • Add a directory and select type 'Atlassian JIRA'.
  • Enter the settings as described below. When asked for the application name and password, enter the values that you defined for your Confluence application in the settings on JIRA.
  • Save the directory settings.
  • Define the directory order by clicking the blue up- and down-arrows next to each directory on the 'User Directories' screen. Here is a summary of how the directory order affects the processing:
    The order of the directories is the order in which they will be searched for users and groups.
    Changes to users and groups will be made only in the first directory where the application has permission to make changes.
    For details see Managing Multiple Directories.

2) In order to use Confluence, users must be a member of the confluence-users group or have Confluence 'can use' permission. Follow these steps to configure your Confluence groups in JIRA:

• Add the confluence-users and confluence-administrators groups in JIRA.
  • Add your own username as a member of both of the above groups.

Choose one of the following methods to give your existing JIRA users access to Confluence:

• Option 1: In JIRA, find the groups that the relevant users belong to. Add the groups as members of one or both of the above Confluence groups.
  • Option 2: Log in to Confluence using your JIRA account and go to the Confluence Administration Console. Click 'Global Permissions' and assign the 'can use' permission to the relevant JIRA groups.
0 votes

Eduardo - 

Thanks for the quick response!  I am not using SSL.  I am using the base URL for JIRA to point Confluence to it, but I do not have an FQDN set up for Confluence yet, but I'm working on it.  This is during the initial set up of Confluence when trying to connect to JIRA to share JIRA users.  Should the Confluence base URL already be set at this point? 

This is the log entry at: E:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\Confluence\logs\atlassian-confluence.txt

2015-02-24 13:29:13,909 WARN [http-bio-8090-exec-3] [confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraAction] addJiraConnectionFailedError Failure due to exception: Failed to create application link from JIRA server at http://192.168.200.72:8080 to this Confluence server at http://192.168.200.4:8090?. Please read the troubleshooting guide.
-- referer: http://192.168.200.4:8090/setup/connecttojira.action | url: /setup/connecttojira.action | userName: anonymous | action: connecttojira

0 votes
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2015

Hey Jenna,

Can you confirm whether you're using SSL? Also, please make sure you're accessing the application through the same URL set as base-url on both applications.

You might want to look at your logs and paste any entries related to the creation attempt on this thread, so we can help you on this matter. smile

Eduardo

Roman Polunin May 25, 2018

The installation-time sync with Jira users directory still does not work, as of 2018-05-25. Had to skip it at installation time, and connect afterwards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events