Excel macros | "Error rendering macro 'viewxls'"

casey.bingham January 21, 2020

I have a spreadsheet I would like to have live in Confluence for additional viewers. My goal is to have it as an image, or a link, but it cannot be editable. 

What are the requirements of the Excel document in order for Confluence to refresh that data, so it reflects changes? I have followed several how-to articles for adding an Excel macro, but have not been successful in seeing the Confluence document reflect the updates I make within Excel.  When I click the "edit" option on the uploaded document, I get this error message for the macro: 

Error rendering macro 'viewxls'

The viewfile macro is unable to locate the page " Embedded Excel Files" in space "TEST"

1 answer

0 votes
Shardul Juyal {Addteq}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2020

Hi Casey,

Since the permissions are based on page and space, any-one with edit access to the page will also be able to edit the macro.

There are two solutions i can think of:

1. Create a the image/table in a space that does not give the rest of the users edit permission and then use include macro in the destination to dis-allow edits

2. Use a spreadsheet tool like Excellentable, and protect the sheet

The Error rendering macro 'viewxls' IIRC was an issue with some of the larger spreadsheets. What is the size of your spreadhsheet? is it more than 2-3 MB?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events