Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - Update from Confluence 6.3.1 to 6.5.0 - Cannot update schema

lets-click November 13, 2017

Hello confluence team,

I installed the update with the installer file. And when opening the weblink comes this error:2017-11-14_08h37_02.pngI searched in the atlassan-confluence.log and found this:

2017-11-13 17:01:05,684 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [confluence.upgrade.impl.DefaultUpgradeManager] beforeUpgrade Finished generating pre-upgrade recovery file.
2017-11-13 17:01:07,314 ERROR [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.confluence.plugin.PluginFrameworkContextListener] launchUpgrades Upgrade failed, application will not start: com.atlassian.config.ConfigurationException: Cannot update schema
com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeException: com.atlassian.config.ConfigurationException: Cannot update schema
    at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.upgrade(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:135)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.PluginFrameworkContextListener.launchUpgrades(PluginFrameworkContextListener.java:119)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.PluginFrameworkContextListener.contextInitialized(PluginFrameworkContextListener.java:78)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4853)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5314)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:145)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1408)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1398)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: com.atlassian.config.ConfigurationException: Cannot update schema
    at bucket.core.persistence.hibernate.schema.SchemaHelper.validateSchemaUpdateIfNeeded(SchemaHelper.java:174)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.upgrade(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:120)
    ... 11 more
Caused by: org.hibernate.tool.schema.extract.spi.SchemaExtractionException: More than one table found in namespace (, ) : AUDIT_CHANGED_VALUE
    at org.hibernate.tool.schema.extract.internal.InformationExtractorJdbcDatabaseMetaDataImpl.processTableResults(InformationExtractorJdbcDatabaseMetaDataImpl.java:483)
    at org.hibernate.tool.schema.extract.internal.InformationExtractorJdbcDatabaseMetaDataImpl.getTable(InformationExtractorJdbcDatabaseMetaDataImpl.java:264)
    at org.hibernate.tool.schema.extract.internal.DatabaseInformationImpl.getTableInformation(DatabaseInformationImpl.java:111)
    at org.hibernate.tool.schema.internal.IndividuallySchemaMigratorImpl.performTablesMigration(IndividuallySchemaMigratorImpl.java:69)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.hibernate.ConfluenceHibernateSchemaManagementTool$3.performTablesMigration(ConfluenceHibernateSchemaManagementTool.java:110)
    at org.hibernate.tool.schema.internal.AbstractSchemaMigrator.performMigration(AbstractSchemaMigrator.java:203)
    at org.hibernate.tool.schema.internal.AbstractSchemaMigrator.doMigration(AbstractSchemaMigrator.java:110)
    at org.hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate.execute(SchemaUpdate.java:87)
    at org.hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate.execute(SchemaUpdate.java:58)
    at bucket.core.persistence.hibernate.schema.SchemaHelper.validateSchemaUpdateIfNeeded(SchemaHelper.java:171)
    ... 12 more
2017-11-13 17:01:07,323 ERROR [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.confluence.plugin.PluginFrameworkContextListener] launchUpgrades 1 errors were encountered during upgrade:
2017-11-13 17:01:07,323 ERROR [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.confluence.plugin.PluginFrameworkContextListener] launchUpgrades 1: Cannot update schema

Could You help me, what I should do? If you need more information, let me know.

Thank You.

Marcus Punzelt

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2017

Hello,

Could you confirm with me which database and version you are running Confluence on?

Thank you!

Kind Regards, 

Shannon

lets-click November 14, 2017

Hello,

Oracle XE 11g

Kind Regards,

Marcus

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2017

Thank you, Marcus.

Confluence currently only supports Oracle 12c (release 1), and this has been the case for a while now.

I would recommend that you first upgrade your instance of Oracle to 12c, and then re-attempt the upgrade.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Thanks for your reply.

I will check this. It is also depends of our license of oracle.

Or I migrate to sql server or postgres.

Thank you. I will let you know which decision I will make.

Kind Regards,

Marcus

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2017

Marcus,

No worries! What might be happening now is that the database user has too many permissions. Have a look at Database Setup for Oracle - Create user with schema-creation privileges, especially this part:

Notes:

• It is very important that the user is granted the exact privileges indicated above. Confluence requires only these privileges so you should grant specific privileges to the user, and not assign a role to the user.

• Do not grant the user the select any table permission. That permission can cause problems with other schemas. 

• When you create a user, specify the tablespace for the table objects as shown above.

I would still recommend that you upgrade Oracle to a supported version, however, to avoid future issues.

Let us know if you have any questions

Kind regards,

Shannon

Great news. Confluence works.

Many thanks for your help Shannon.

I had any-permissions. And I revoke these permissions.

But in the future I go to a supported version.

Kind regards and Thanks :-),

Marcus

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 15, 2017

Marcus,

Glad to hear that worked for you! :) 

If you run into any issues when upgrading your database or migrating it please feel free to raise a new question.

Take care and kind regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events