Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Installing Confluence 5.5 on Linux

Andrew Walker May 4, 2014

Hi,

I downloaded the latest trial version of Confluence 5.5 on Friday. Trying to install on Linux.

bash-3.2$ cksum atlassian-confluence-5.5.tar

3270664784 219955200 atlassian-confluence-5.5.tar

I untar OK.
I Modifyconfluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties
set HOME/devshared/home/u1348583/atlassian-confluence-5.5
Note: Must point to physical path, not symbolic linked
I Modifybin/setenv.sh
set JAVA_HOME/usr/local/java/jdk1.6.0_24_32
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk1.6.0_24_32
export JAVA_HOME
The Default port = 8090
I then Startup withbin/start-confluence.sh -fg
My client connects OK, and I start the install process. I enter my trial key OK. The servers starts it's processing. The client then errors with:

Cause

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No internal directory found. Should have already been created in the previous step.
at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.getInternalDirectoryId(ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.java:89)

Stack Trace:[hide]

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No internal directory found. Should have already been created in the previous step.
	at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.getInternalDirectoryId(ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.java:89)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.startLongRunningJiraDirectorySyncJob(ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.java:140)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.doDefault(ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.java:56)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invokeAction(DefaultActionInvocation.java:302)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:170)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:35)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.validation.MessageHolderInterceptor.intercept(MessageHolderInterceptor.java:42)

There are many errors in the HOME/logs directory.  Hard to know which one(s) is/are the cause.  Maybe:
Caused by: java.sql.SQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException: integrity constraint violation: unique constraint or index violation; BANDANA_UNIQUE_KEY table: BANDANA
Any help/advice greatly received.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Walker May 11, 2014

Finally it's working. I don't know why but it is.

I used another Linux user account to install Confluence v5.5 and it worked first time (as expected). No idea why the original Linux account didn't allow the install to complete; this original account was fine for installing JIRA v6.2.4 (again, first time).

What access or operation does Confluence perform during the config setup stage, something that requires 'additional' access right? I have no idea.

Thanks for your help guys!

2 votes
FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2014

Hi Andrew,

Please try installing Confluence with internal user managing, create just an admin user internally. After you get your new Confluence up and running, you can go to Confluence Admin->User Directories, and add your JIRA as a directory repository over there.

Best regards,

Felipe Alencastro

0 votes
Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2014

Hey Andrew,

By the provided stack trace it seems that Confluence is having trouble when it tried to integrate with JIRA user management since Internal directory is no created yet.

Could you please try an installation from scratch by droping Confluence current database, delete all the content inside Confluence HOME directory try starting Confluence again?

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
David|Atlassian Support
Andrew Walker May 5, 2014

Hi Felipe, Deividi,

I was just performing a standalone install of Confluence - while we do run JIRA in the company, I wasn't wanting to link (this trial instance of) Confluence to existing JIRA instances. I have removed all install files and untar'd 3 times now, once using 64-bit Java 6. Same error in client. Still unable to get Confluence running past the install phase.

In the console window, this is the first error message that pops up:

2014-05-06 06:51:41,559 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 5.5 [build 5501 based on commit hash a39771cd4bb7ab00a226a7ea8d6dd65e64226a7f]

Exception in thread "ThreadPoolAsyncTaskExecutor::Thread 10" org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'TeamSpaceBlueprintCreateEventListener' defined in URL [bundle://89.0:0/META-INF/spring/atlassian-plugins-components.xml]: Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not instantiate bean class [com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.team.SpaceBlueprintEventListener]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/atlassian/confluence/plugins/createcontent/api/events/SpaceBlueprintCreateEvent

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:254)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:925)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:835)

But a quick search shows the JAR and class does exist. Strange.

I will try one more install from archive; if that doesn't work (should be the easiest option), I'll try the installer option.

Andrew Walker May 5, 2014

By the way - I note both JIRA and Confluence archives include tomcat 7.0.47

What's the recommendation: 1 tomcat each for JIRA and Confluence? Or can I install / configure both (trial applicaitons of) JIRA and Confluence to run in the same tomcat?

Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2014

Tomcat 7 is supported in the latest version (we bundle that one now). Regarding the applications we do not recommend running both apps in the same tomcat container, so my vote is one tomcat per application.

Andrew Walker May 6, 2014

I've downloaded Confluence 5.4.4 and ... it fails at the same place:

http://uklpaurzr07a.uk:8088/setup/setupdemocontent.action

Cause

Stack Trace:[hide]

at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.startLongRunningJiraDirectorySyncJob(ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.java:140)

at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.doDefault(ConnectToJiraSyncDirectoryAction.java:56)

So while I don't know what the setup process is doing exactly, perhaps my Linux user doesn't have enough rights to perform a certain action?

I note there are many WARN and ERROR messages in the HOME/logs directory.

Reading backwards,

Could not execute action

-- url: /setup/connecttojirasyncdirectory-start.action | userName: anonymous

Could not execute action

-- url: /setup/connecttojirasyncdirectory-start.action;jsessionid=CC63AC14ADE7E4A930FCD03C4D584476 | userName: anonymous

execute Could not import demo-site.zip:

-- referer: http://uklpaurzr07a.uk:8088/setup/setuplicense.action| url: /setup/setupdemocontent.action | userName: anonymous | action: setupdemocontent

importEntities Cannot import the entities:

-- referer: http://uklpaurzr07a.uk:8088/setup/setuplicense.action| url: /setup/setupdemocontent.action | userName: anonymous | action: setupdemocontent

persist Error while saving object: Imported[com.atlassian.confluence.links.OutgoingLink] [Id[id]=163845, Property[destinationPageTitle]=Lay out your page (step 6 of 9), Property[destinationSpaceKey]

=ds, Property[sourceContent]=com.atlassian.confluence.pages.Page[Id[id]=98312]

execute Could not synchronize database state with session

-- referer: http://uklpaurzr07a.uk:8088/setup/setuplicense.action| url: /setup/setupdemocontent.action

logExceptions integrity constraint violation: unique constraint or index violation; BANDANA_UNIQUE_KEY table: BANDANA

translateBodyContentXhtmlProperty Unable to parse text of BodyContent 229382 as XHTML storage format: The XML content could not be parsed. There is a problem at line 1, column 3628. Parser message: Unexpected EOF in CDATA section at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,3628]

Not sure if any of that helps? But as the setup is a wholely automated process, I'm not sure what - if anything - I can to do get Confluence installed?

Any further advice?

Thanks in advance.

BTW - I have successfully installed JIRA 6.2.4 Same server.

Like Confluence, I downloaded and untarred the tar.gz, set java, set the home, set the port values. The setup process prompted for the key and completed successfully first time.

Confused why the Confluence setup process hasn't.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events