Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine

Christian Eder December 23, 2014

I'm trying to install Confluence on a Mac OS Server with the standalone version - did the same with JIRA and it worked just fine.

However, with Confluence my console outputs

Server startup logs are located in /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/logs/catalina.out

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5

Using CATALINA_HOME:   /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/temp

Using JRE_HOME:        /library/java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/contents/home/

Using CLASSPATH:       /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

Using CATALINA_PID:    /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/work/catalina.pid

Existing PID file found during start.

Removing/clearing stale PID file.

Tomcat started.

logout

The logs in the file "catalina.out" state

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
Invalid file name for use with -Xloggc: Filename can only contain the characters [A-Z][a-z][0-9]-_.%[p|t] but it has been /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/logs/gc-2014-12-23_14:38:21.log
Note %p or %t can only be used once

Initially I had the JRE installed instead of the JDK, so I was getting errors. I now installed the JDK 1.8.0_25. Can anyone please help me out?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2014

Hi Christian, 

As I could see, you are running JAVA 8. It is supported by JIRA as you can see on this link. However, is isn't supported by Confluence yet. So, the solution would be you downgrade your JAVA to version 1.7 as you can see on this link.

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

Christian Eder December 23, 2014

Thanks Renato, you saved me!

rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2014

You're welcome Christian! Happy holidays :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events