Editing images inserted via a link on a Confluence page

Karin van Driel November 26, 2013

Hi all,

Just to give a little back ground, we are currently using Confluence as follows:

We have a section where we document the application we are working on, including screen mocks and descriptions, process flows etc. In addition, we create requirement documentation for a particular release of functionality. Here we pull in the images of the screen mocks which were created in the general application documentation. To ensure the requirement documentation for the release does not change, we pull in the version of the screen that applies to this release, by using the link functionality in the Image macro. This works great.

What I would like to know is, whether there is a way to edit the image's link. Not the outbound link (that works great!) but the link used to 'pull' the image onto the page.

Currently, whilst constructing the documentation, I may have a few different iterations of the screen, which means every time I have to delete the image, then recreate it with the link to the new version of the image and then attach the link to the page version on which the image is stored as well. It would be so much easier if I could just 'Edit' what I put in in the first place, so I could simply increment the version number and not delete and recreate, like I can for the outbound link...

Is this something that is already possible and I have managed to miss how to do this? Or maybe there is a plugin out there that will allow this? Any steer would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards,

Karin

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Karin van Driel December 12, 2013

I guess there is no way to do this at present and I should raise a request for this.

0 votes
Kris Fininen January 3, 2019

We have been able to use Draw.io to accomplish this. We create a page, call it Shared Images. We create all our images in a Draw.io macro and store them on the Shared Images page. When we need to edit the image in Draw.io all pages using that image is also updated.

I realize this only addresses half your issue - I don't have a good solution for the issue of using the updated image only on some pages. Our shared images are the same for all pages using them.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Deleted user November 15, 2018

Hello!

Any updates on this issue?

Is it currently possible to automaticaly change preview of image added by link in to confluence, when source image is changed?

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

Images are versioned just like pages. If you upload the image again with the same file name it should version the existing image. IIf you insert the image using the insert image functionality in the editing toolbat it uses the latest version of the image. So, you shouldn't have to delete the image and re-add it. Just upload it again with the same name and voila, it should show the latest version.

Karin van Driel December 2, 2013

Hi Davin,
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately we do not want the latest version in all cases, hence the need to pull in a specific version of the image. Let me explain further.

For Q1, we add a few functions to a screen; then for Q2 we add another function and some more in Q3. The Release page for Q1 should show the latest revision of the screen with just the Q1 functionality, the Q2 release page the Q2 functionality and Release Q3 the Q3 functionality. Whilst we are working on Q1 we may have multiple revisions of the image, so we may want to change the version of the image.

This is currently a question of deleting the image, then adding the image again, using the new version of the image. We then link the image to the page which further details out the screen, which again needs a link with a page version. If it were just the link to the page changing, that would be easy. I would love to see a similar functionality, where we can just edit the image source like we can currently edit any outbound link from the image. So my question is, does this functionality exist, or is there a plugin that might facilitate this?

I hope that helps clarify.

Thanks,

Karin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events