Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dragon Slaying - Should I stick to Confluence 3.5.7 or take the latest Confluence 3.5 version?

AmosA February 2, 2012

The instructions in Dragon Slaying Stage 3 Step 2 say that I should use Confluence 3.5.7 (released June 22, 2011). The latest available Confluence 3.5 version is 3.5.13 (released September 1, 2011). Should I stick to 3.5.7 or should I use 3.5.13, which I guess only adds stability?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2012

There shouldn't be any problems using 3.5.13 instead.

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2012

Ah, I think that documentation was written pre Java 7. I'll see if I can get it updated.

0 votes
AmosA February 5, 2012

I didn't keep the error message's details but it just said that it can't find the tables inside. Maybe it though that it managed to create them in a previous run (which is marked in a local text file).

• Database already exists and with right access permissions for that user
  • Database was empty
  • Username/password were verified using "psql".
  • Double-checked privileges for that user (it's the database owner and was able to add roles and tables as instructed)
  • URL was verifies
  • Database was on same host.

All of these were verified with psql.

I dropped and re-created the database but it didn't help.

I eventually dug up and installed JDK 1.6 (6?) instead of 7 and it started working (1.6 takes a little bit of digging in order to find on Oracle's web site).

I was later told that I should actually use 1.6 for everything since this is what all Atlassian products require.

The instructions in http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Dragons+Stage+1+-+Install+JIRA#DragonsStage1-InstallJIRA-Step1InstallJava clearly say "Oracle JDK 1.6 or higher", which I interpreted to include JDK 7, I was now told that it was supposed to mean "1.6.x for any x".

Thanks everyone for your responses.

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012

What error did you get with creating tables? When the install falls over at table creation it's normally due to one of:

• Database doesn't exist
  • DB exists, but isn't empty
  • Wrong username/password
  • Insufficient privileges for the DB user
  • Typo in the JDBC URL
  • Connection problem between server and DB (if they're on different machines)

Andrew.

0 votes
AmosA February 2, 2012

Thanks for the answers. 3.5.7 config blows up on not being able to create the tables in the database. I might wipe it all and try 4.1

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012
In case you want to go for the latest and greatest I did Dragon Slayer with 4.1 (just for fun) and can confirm it all works and didn't have to deviate from the instructions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events