Does Confluence's API allow you to feed outside data into your site?

Joseph Priest April 2, 2015

I'm currently trying to get my company to start using Confluence but one of the major issues that they have is the ticketing service. We currently have a in house built ticketing service and do not use JIRA. I'm curious if either the API or another aspect of Confluence will allow me to feed tickets/data to Confluence in some form? 

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2015

Yes, there are a couple of approaches.

Confluence's REST API is available to Cloud users, but this is quite a static thing - it will allow you to create and update pages from your ticketing system, but updates will cause page changes, so you'll rapidly build up very long histories on pages, and you will need to build potentially complex structures and code to keep things updated.

The other option is to examine what your system can expose that Confluence can pull out.  Not knowing your system, I can't use it as an example, but if you look at what JIRA exposes, you'll see that Confluence has a couple of macros that can pull data from JIRA issues for display and also read search results and draw them up.

I'd prefer the second approach if possible, as it's more dynamic and less work generating extra histories for Confluence, but it does depend on your system having the integration points.

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2015

Here are some options for dealing with the add-on limitations of Atlassian cloud:

1. Automate the export of your ticket information to CSV, use the addAttachment action from Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI), and then have it displayed on a Confluence page using the CSV Macro.
  2. You can update Confluence page content directly using storePage or similar from Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI).
  3. A more sophisticated automation solution using SQL is possible: How to publish SQL queries to Atlassian Cloud.

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2015

As far as I know this should be possible. if you use the API that Confluence and JIRA provides to add content it will work. Doesn't matter how you run the APi command, but it matter that the syntax is correct.

Here are the API for Confluence and JIRA. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events