cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you understand why you are wrong?

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2011

[Plugin developers vs Cyberpatrols: Chapter IV]

Read this question:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/20015/pdf-macro-and-sharpview-macro

The guy making the question perhaps would be interested in how to publish large PDF files on Conluence for free. There is a solution based on alternative software approach and providing a similar result.

But giving such information, would be considered as an advertisement, as it happened in the past a lot of times.

Who is the looser? A plugin developer who does not advertise a free alternative or the guy who needs a solution?

Have a nice day!

4 answers

8 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2011

Hi Pablo,

I don't think anyone should refrain from suggesting a plugin in an answer. I think that's perfectly appropriate and I've done it myself - it's a genuine answer. That's different than generally advertising a plugin as a new question where there's no context and it's clearly an ad. Once we fix up ANSWERS-139 and have a proper, appropriate way (rather than a workaround) to advertise a plugin, we should hopefully have a nice balance.

Does that seem ok?

UPDATE:

We've now published a guide for marketing a plugin:
https://developer.atlassian.com/display/MARKET/Plugin+Marketing

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2011

That's flamebait. You shouldn't bother answering again to the same question.

3 votes
David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2011

Are you saying you were prevented from suggesting a plugin that was relevant to the discussion because it was viewed as an advertisement? Seems a bit strong-handed...

Jared Farrish November 9, 2011

Or, that he wasn't allowed to suggest an alternative to a commercial product. (I can't figure out which.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2011

There's a bit of a grey area between "valid pointer to plugin that might help" and "advert", but there's been some postings that are clearly adverts and have nothing to do with helping the original question (or subsequent ones). Other referrals to the plugins that were advertised have been absolutely fine though.

1 vote
Alvaro DAlessandro November 10, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'd like to take this thread as an opportunity to raise another point here: how can I have access to anyone interested in developing a custom plugin ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2011

Ah, well, that's different. We are missing a place to say "here's a new plugin", and then discuss support and features of those plugins.

But "answers" is definitely a place to ask for help. If you want someone to (help) write a plugin for you, then there's a few things I'd do

1. first, look through the Atlassian partners page to see if there's someone who may help there - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/APW/Partner+Directory+Home
  2. See also "experts" - relatively new, I've not quite worked out what the difference between a partner and an expert is yet (simply because I've not had time to read anything recently), http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts
  3. Finally, ask here. The negative tones in this thread are about inappropriate adverts, not genuine questions. Asking for people interested in writing plugins for you is perfectly fine, although I'd suggest posting a rough outline of what you want, and why existing stuff doesn't work if you've tried any of it.
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2011

Nic sums it up well.

Experts is new branding for partner. They're the same thing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2011

Ah, I thought it might be, but I haven't had time to read much recently, so I didn't want to say that without knowing!

1 vote
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2011

Pablo -

Jerry making the question specifically calls out SharpView.
There's no advert abt it - that was his question.

No one makes any customer buy a plugin - its the customers choice, always - so not sure why bringing awareness of solutions to common problems is wrong at all.

It informs, period. And I think the purpose of this forum is that.

Best,

Ellen

AppFusions

ellen@appfusions.com

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2011

Don't get upset. Pablo is a kind of Don Quixote - he always has a Quest !

Man, how I deserve to be down-voted (and blamed, cursed, etcaetera).

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2011

Ellen,

I don't try to say that you advertise your plugin. Reading the original post, it's clear that the AppFusions guy is trying to answer/help, not advertising.

Unfortunately, I chose that question in a sort of random example to go on a parallel theme. Thinking on war terms, I would say these are collateral effects.

I also opened another question in order to don't disturb the original post and minimize the number of victims.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events