Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the license terms allow for external companies to be space admins?

Thomas Higson February 28, 2019

I want to use Confluence to create an information repository to be used by multiple companies coming together to develop apps and services for a bespoke network system.

Ideally, each app and service would have its own space, and that space would be maintained by the company developing the product. These users would have no admin rights for the overall Confluence instance and would only control their own space.

However, the licensing terms state:

You may grant your own customers’ end users (“Secondary Users”) limited rights to use the Software solely so that they may view and interact with such resources.  You may not permit Secondary Users to use the Software for purposes unrelated to supporting your own offerings or grant Secondary Users administrator, configuration or similar use of the Software.

Is this term referring to granting admin permissions to the entire Confluence instance or does it also restrict providing others with control over a space? Is what I'm trying to do possible in another way?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2019

Reading it carefully, secondary users could not be space admins as it would give them control over configuration. But you could grants someone rights up to that level for a space, i.e., designate a space champion who has rights to delete pages, attachments, comments, etc., but they could not change the stylesheet for example.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2019

Thomas - I am not an Atlassian employee and I am not a lawyer and I think what you are explaining could be interpreted either way.   You should submit a support ticket to get a definitive answer.  You can do that here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

I don't think they would need space admin access to do everything that you explained though and that might get you in compliance if being a space admin breaches licensing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events