Displaying the same data point multiple times on the same page

Paul Willman March 7, 2019

Here is a challenge that I have been given.

We have a project management template that serves three purposes:

1. Feeds data from Page Properties Macros into other reports
  2. Serves as a tool for Project Managers to track the progress of their project
  3. Communicates the current state of the project to anyone who wants to visit the page

To serve this purpose, we occasionally have the same data point showing up in multiple locations on the page: once in the PP macro, and twice more in different locations on the page.  Each of these locations is part of a logical flow where you would expect to see that data, given the section of that page.

I know it's not good form to have the same piece of data included more than once on the same page, but work with me - this was not my call, I'm just trying to make it work for them.

It would be nice if the Project Managers would only have to enter that data one time, and have it display in all of the other locations that it appears.  Is there way to do this?

I have played with template variables and excerpt macros - neither of those does what I need it to (template variables only work once at page creation and excerpt macros can only take one excerpt from the same page).  If anyone else has a suggestion for how this can be done, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much for the help!

2 answers

0 votes
Norbert Murzsa September 8, 2021

Is there any resolution for having a feature that implements this requirement?

We also have a template where we list the requirements after every single section then again at the bottom of the page as requirement summary. It would be good to find a solution and avoid using the same data multiple times on the same page.

Is there a way to use an Excerpt-like feature on the same page?

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Alexander Wirtz January 14, 2021

Hey @Paul Willman I am facing the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

Paul Willman January 14, 2021

Hi @Alexander Wirtz - I never did find a solution for this :(  We actually migrated our entire project management process over to Smartsheet and have been much happier with it.

Best of luck!

Like Alexander Wirtz likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events