Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Emoticons Server-wide in Confluence 5.4

Janet Li February 12, 2015

We are law firm and frequent references to statutes or regulations will bring up emoticons.  We do NOT want to make users change this option in their Settings. We need this turned off across-the-board, but I do not see this documented past versions 4.x. 

Can someone enlighten me?

With gratitude,

Gail

2 answers

1 vote
Chii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2015

It's possible to disable auto-insertion of emoticons via the editor by disabling the autoformat in the editor preferences. Go to https://your_confluence/users/viewmyeditorsettings.action and check the 'disable autoformatting' option. 

This will also disable other auto formatting, such as bullet points and h1 etc. You will have to manually select the text, and use the toolbar to format your document. 

0 votes
philleicht
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2015

Hey Gail,

checking again myself I can confirm that the documentation that seems to provide info on how to turn it off, is either outdated or removed altogether.
My - quite hacky - approach would probably be to browse through the Confluence database and look for the profile-setting that you've mentioned. Afterwards I would create a script to disable it for all users, creating a trigger to do this regularly.
I also read in the following comment https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/48140, that it could be modified within wiki-renderer-components.xml but this might also only apply to older version.

However, I hope someone else comes up with a proper way. smile

Regards,
Philipp

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events