Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable watch space option

Atle Rinvoll March 18, 2016

Hi

Is there a way to disable the option to watch spaces in Confluence? We have found a major security risc in this option. Users get notifications from all subpages in the space even if they are restricted from watching the page.

Cheers

\Atle

3 answers

1 vote
Atle Rinvoll March 20, 2016

I have autowatch disabled, but I want to prevent watching of spaces. Pages and stuff is ok, but watching spaces is a security hazard for us, and it is not possible for administrators to remove watchers of spaces. It is only possible to remove watchers of pages. I had to do som DB operations to get rid og the space watchers.

So my question is, is it possible to disable the ability to watch spaces?

Thanks

\Atle

Deleted user August 30, 2017

Hi @Atle Rinvoll

did you got any solution to this issue. 

I'm still facing the same problem. Users get notifications (with content) for pages they aren't allow to see by restrictions to parent pages.

Best Regards,

Markus

Atle Rinvoll August 30, 2017

No, unfortunatley I have not.

\Atle

Deleted user August 30, 2017

Too bad.

So I will have to ask the support for a good way to solve this to prevent mails with sensitive content to send to all space watchers.

Did you thought about removing space watchers in special spaces by script or e.g. database trigger?

This could be my last chance instead of loosing confidence of the users to the system.

Markus

Dale Strickler July 30, 2018

I too would like a way to disallow ALL watches of specific pages.  We would like to but secure system data on a page where all the people who need it can see it.  But we don't want it sent to anyone's email.  We want people to have to go to the page to see it.  

0 votes
John Corwith October 2, 2019

I have yet to find a suitable way for my enterprise so I created an Atlassian issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-58943 

Please vote for it.

You can eliminate the Watch button by adding the code below to Space tools/Look and Feel/Stylesheet (note that Stylesheet needs to be enabled by your Conf Admin and has security risks.)

#watch-content-button {display: none !important;}

This will hide the Watch button and its associated modal (pop-up) with watching config check-boxes and the Manage Watching link so the space owner won't be able to monitor who's watching. And users can still toggle Watch/Watching any given page using the (w) shortcut.

0 votes
rahuldanwade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

Hi @Atle Rinvoll

confluence have "autowatch"  feature enabled by default.

You can turn "autowath" on or off and also configure other notification settings

refer below link 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/edit-your-user-settings-1016023.html

hope it will help you

Thanks 

Rahul

rahuldanwade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

Or if you are a creator of space you can manage watcher for all pages and blogs in that respective space.

Atle Rinvoll March 29, 2016

Unfortunatly this only goes for the pages. If you watch a space you will still get notifications from pages within that space even if you are restricted from watching the page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events