Deleting a space. Privileges.

Philippe Heckly March 28, 2018

I don't seem to have the rights to delete a space I just created, how can I be sure that it is the issue since it seems that Confluence doesn't show these options as disabled to me but just take them away? I suspect that it is the problem because Googling a solution seems to offer that option but it is nowhere to be found on my dropdown lists.

Here is what I see when I click on the ellipsis on the top corner of my screen:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 1.44.14 PM.png

Thanks for the help!
Philippe

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2018

Do you mean deleting the space or page. Deleting a space will be under Space settings. Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/delete-a-space-139524.html. Only a space admin can do it.

Deleting a page is restricted by space permissions.

Thanks Jobin!

My question is exactly that.

How do I know that I am not a space admin?

And where or how can I find one if I am not?

Thanks for trying though!
Philippe

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2018

Hi Philippe,

Please look for the space tools option in the bottom left corner under the sidebar, and choose Permissions if that option is there. If that option is not there you are not a space admin.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 1.14.03 PM.png

To find a Confluence administrator, I suggest contacting the IT team of your organization.

Thanks Ann!

I suspected that much but wanted confirmation that you were very kind to provide me with—My space tools shows but a mere 3 options (Overview, Content Tools and Reorder pages). Funny thing is that I created the document. Now i have to figure out who in the company might have deleting privileges! Ouch!

Thanks again and have a wonderful Wednesday!
Philippe

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2018

Hi Philippe,

If you need to delete the page and not the whole space, please try the Delete Page Tree option on the ellipsis menu.

I wish you a wonderful Wednesday, as well!

Thanks,

Ann

On second thoughts I do have a couple of comments:

1. The instructions says look for Spaces/... which made me think that it was something in the upper nav bar. 

2. The options that are not available do not show so it is hard to find out why you can't find the information you are looking far after browsing for help.

3. I wasn't able to leave a message after clicking that the instruction wasn't helpful as the only options offered were to cancel, close or look at the help directory.

I hope you find these helpful.

Have a wonderful day!
Philippe

Thanks for that tip Ann! About the —Delete Page Tree—option. I didn't want to go near it as to me a tree evoked a complex structure and I was afraid that I would get into more troubles than I am in right now!

Philippe

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 2.38.34 PM.png

Thanks Ann! We tried!

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2018

That makes sense. In the screen shots (from the Delete Page Tree plugin on Atlassian Marketplace) the delete option and the delete page tree option are both there, but it looks like that was customized on your instance so the delete option is not there. Delete page tree will delete the current page and any subpages of it. If you didn't create any subpages it should just delete the current page.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2018

Oops - our posts crossed! It does look like you will have to contact your IT team or "someone" for delete permission. I wish you the best.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events