Degraded performance after reinstallation on new server - slow loading macros

After installig Confluence on new server and restoring database and Confluence home, the bare pages are loaded almost instantly, but page macros, like Page tree, is loaded wither instantly, or takes ages, like 20 second. Page Edit macro, when not loaded instantly, is fully loaded in about 40 seconds.

The Confluence instance is configured to run over https using self-signed certificate. Confluence version is 6.3.3. Database is MS SQL server 2014 Express. Total number of users is under 10, concurrently works at most 2, typically 1. Server is virtual Windows Server 2012 R2 with 8GB RAM. Except Confuence and JIRA hosts just  two other apps with low-to none usage.

I've tried performance logging, but cannot find any sign of slow performance (maybe I was looking incorrectly or not configured the logging properly)

JIRA, installed on the same server, works just fine. The odd Confluence behavior manifests whether JIRA is running or not.

Thank you for any advice where to look or what to try.


4 answers

Sounds like it could maybe be some add-on causing the issue. Perhaps try disabling some of the add-ons that have macros on the pages that loads slow, and see if you can narrow down the cause. 

You could also try clearing the cache and reindexing.

Did you check java memory settings? Out-of-the-box Confluence has only 1Gb for java heap. Increasing of java heap memory is a good start for fixing performance issues.

Use the browser developer tools to see what's taking so long.


Thank you all, guys, for your tips. Results:

- cleared the cache, plugin cache and done reindexing. We don't have any other plugins than those standard ones.

- checked the Java VM Heap memory - out instance has default 1GB, but was utilized from 50 to 70 % - no issue here (no memory exceptions in log)

- looked into http traffic during page load - the page itself loaded fast, but dynamic content served as REST functionality or actions took their time, it looked like some component get choked for several tens of seconds, and then everyting missing popped in.

- I also suspected https/SSL configuration, but the problem manifests on plain http together on localhost, too

- no CPU spikes, no MS SQL server problems (all tracked queires took under 5ms)

So I installed 2nd, clean test instance, that runs smoothly, so I impoterd spaces (5 spaces of total cca 100 pages) and users (10) and everything is OK (importing users was not straighforward though).

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Mar 12, 2019 in Confluence

Confluence Admin Certification now $150 for Community Members

More and more people are building their careers with Atlassian, and we want you to be at the front of this wave! Important Dates Start the Certification Prep Course by 2 April 2019 Take your e...

279 views 2 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you