Cut and Paste Entire Table (5.9.7)

Stephen Kairys April 13, 2016

Confluence 5.9.7 under Win10:

I need to move an entire table from one place in a page to another. I would imagine the process involves selecting all rows, beyond that point:

1. How do I select an entire row?
  2. How do I select multiple rows so all are selected? (In other words, how do I select the entire table?)

Btw, I am willing to do the following if it works:

1) Create a new table with the identical number of rows/columns.
2) Select the entire table. 
3) Copy to new location.
4) Remove the old table.

Thanks,

Steve

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

Here's what I would recommend:

Simply select from the left side of the leftmost column in the table in the row you want to select (if it's the whole table, it would be the top left cell), and then simply keep the mouse button held down and move the mouse towards the right or down (if the whole table, towards the bottom right cell).  The cells should start to turn a shade of light blue, and once you have chosen the cells you want, you can let go of the mouse button.

Once you have done this, you should be able to press Ctrl+X to cut the content.

Then move the cursor to the place you want the table/rows to go, press Ctrl+V, and then your table should be inserted.

Stephen Kairys April 13, 2016

Nice. It worked for me. Thank you!

Like Eswar Krishnan likes this
brettveen August 1, 2017

This doesn't work for large tables with embeded macros in the cells of the table... like code blocks.

Please provide a better way to cut, copy, and paste entire tables ...or give up back a way to edit the markup of a page.

Like # people like this
Barry Gallagher January 23, 2018

Hi Brett,

The approach I took was to follow the steps that Stephen Deutsch set out above. However, before pressing Ctrl+V, I created a new single cell table and then used the paste table row.

Like Pallav Mehta likes this
Rajendra Seera July 6, 2018

Hi Stephen, I have had the similar problem and tried to figure out as below:

1. Place the cursor on line above the table

2. Start the selection from the start of above line till the end of line below the table

3. This should select the first line, table and the last line.

4. Now hit Ctrl + C.

5. Place the cursor on the page where you want the table to pasted and hit Ctrl + V.

6. Now you should have the two lines and table pasted. Remove any unwanted lines.

This worked for me, hope it helps you too !!!

Like # people like this
Koral Ilgun April 15, 2019

Only Rajendra's solution worked for me. i.e. start the selection one line above the table. Otherwise, the table contents are copied without the table formatting.

Like Jen Salta likes this
Ajeya Anand May 17, 2019

Rajendra's solution is the one which worked. Thanks.

Like Jen Salta likes this
Kelvin Lush August 20, 2019

Echoed here - Only Rajendra's solution works. The answer should be updated to reflect this.

Like Tina Maddox likes this
Daniel De Juan September 13, 2019

I've found that it's much easier to select the table for copying when the source page is in published or preview mode than when it is in edit mode. In edit mode, it behaves really strangely when you drag the mouse over it (not highlighting the selection, etc.). Hope this helps!

Like # people like this
Dan Bennett February 28, 2020

Thanks @Daniel De Juan , this was super simple to do and worked perfectly!

Like Tina Maddox likes this
Tina Maddox March 21, 2020

Yes, thank you @Daniel De Juan your method worked!

0 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2017

Hello Stephen,

If you are using Table Filter and Charts add-on, you can use a Copy Table button to copy any table to the clipboard in a single click.

Stephen Kairys May 1, 2017

Thanks, Andrey. 

As it truned out, I went with Stephen Deutch's solution from 4/13/2016, but I appreciate your input. :)

Matt Loughran October 11, 2018

I tried Stephen's method and it only pasted the contents of the "copied" table, not the table and contents. Note, before copying I did select the whole table just as Stephen described. I still don't know how to copy and paste an entire table.

Rajendra Seera October 12, 2018

Hi Matt, before copying and pasting the table from excel in Confluence, create an empty table in Confluence with same number of rows and columns as in the excel.

Now try to copy paste the contents in excel to the confluence table. This should work!!!

Marius Kymantas October 17, 2019

Just use browsers developers tool, in EDIT mode navigate to your Confluence table, find a table as HTML object, CUT it, navigate to a page location where you want to put table at, select some html element there, chose to EDIT that element and paste your table HTML before/inside/after your selected element. Works like a charm.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events