Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize inline code block background and font colors in all pages and spaces

Alex Tkachiov March 16, 2012

Hello,

I want to have inline code blocks (called monospaced text in editor) to have background color and font color different from default. I need it on css level, so it will be applied to all pages and spaces (unless customized otherwise in editor).

I think it would require adding custom css snippet but I can't find where I should put it. Css like:

code {
  background-color: #e67300;
  color: #333;
}

3 answers

2 votes
Rene Minder December 18, 2019

Just got Atlassian support to open https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-59278 for us. Please vote for it.

1 vote
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2012

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately with OnDemand you cannot add your own custom CSS as all of the entry points that would allow you to do this in the download version (HTML Macro, User Macro, Custom Themes, Custom HTML, Space Layout, etc.) are restricted with OnDemand to avoid potential security or stability problems that custom HTML/CSS/Javascript could cause.

Only think I can think of is if one of the pre-defined themes for the Code Macro (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Code+Block+Macro) is close to what you want then encourage users to use that particular formatting when entering code blocks.

Far from ideal for what you want to do I know, but is this of some help?

Andrew.

Rahav August 27, 2018

Hey there Confluence team. Its been six years since this (and many more of the same nature in other threads) request to be able to use Confluence for in-line code highlighting. There are a large number of challenges with the current editor usability, to a point that it is just not useful.

1) Back-ticks will change the font of a some text to Monospace, but the industry standard for in-line highlighting is some form of grayed out style. Monospace is not a good choice for inline code and we would like you to adhere to the standard.

2) Above option does not work if you choose Monospace from the menus (it will change the whole sentence and not just the selected words.

3) When one uses two back-ticks the editor will auto-change the font immediately. This is not useful, we would like it to retain, while editing, the two back-ticks because then we can revert it to regular text or add more text inside the two back-ticks. Only when the page is viewed the back-ticks should go again (and be available again if we enter edit mode).

Thanks for reading, I hope you do something about it after so many years,

Like # people like this
xunux December 11, 2018

I agree entirely with every single point you bring forward here. These little details would really bring confluence to its full potential, it is a very useful software but it just lacks the details that make it a joy to us

Jon Sorenson February 28, 2019

I was involved in convincing my current employer to use Confluence after having been a happy customer for many years, but I'm finding the lack of support for things like this in OnDemand to be really disappointing.  (another issue is not being able to customize macros to enable i.e. LaTeX formatting)

I think the benefits of using Confluence still outweigh our previous wiki solution (GitLab), but for a technical crew these are really frustrating limitations.

Thomas Fuller October 9, 2019

For the

love. Please please please add background 
hilighting to inline code with backticks.
It's a standard feature in every other markup

editor.

Using a code block really breaks up the flow of that paragraph, eh?

0 votes
Brad September 14, 2020

Please vote for this feature as it is badly needed. Our company switched to Confluence from MediaWiki because of their integration with JIRA. That's great, but not being able to copy code into Confluence with a fix-font and nice background shading is very, very annoying!

Please vote for this feature. They will not work on it if very few vote for it.

:)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events