Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customising the eMail Templates

Max Eigenmann September 19, 2013

Hi,

I need in Customising the eMail Templates. I followed by manual https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF52/Customising+the+eMail+Templates

I created new JAR file with fixed templates. Then I replaced original confluence-5.2.3.jar with modified confluence-5.2.3.jar. Also I copied modified /templates/* folders to /confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/templates/* for insurance.

But I don't see my changes (

P.S: Confluence was stopped before files modification. Restart for confluence didn't help me.

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Eigenmann October 6, 2013

Problem didn't solve.

0 votes
Stephen Gramm December 23, 2013

I have already sent the emails asking for examples, added this same request the bug report and patiently waited for an example to be provided. So far there is no followup provided.

The BUG has been marked as resolved so it looks like this is now a dead end. See: [CONF-31848|https://jira.atlassian.com/i#browse/CONF-31848]

0 votes
Rachel Robins
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2013

There were changes to email notifications in Confluence 5.2. Soy (also known as Closure) templates are now used instead of Velocity templates.

I have updated the documentation on how to edit the email notification templates, however I need to stress that editing these files is not supported, and we strongly recommend that if you do decide to edit these templates that you use a test instance of Confluence first.

Updated documentation can be found here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Customising+the+eMail+Templates

0 votes
Rachel Robins
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2013

There were changes email notifications in Confluence 5.2. Soy (also known as Closure) templates are now used instead of Velocity templates.

I have updated the documentation on how to edit the email notification templates, however I need to stress that editing these files is not supported, and we strongly recommend that if you do decide to edit these templates that you use a test instance of Confluence first.

Updated documentation can be found here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Customising+the+eMail+Templates

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2013

Hi guys,

After carefully going through the documentation, and just adding a text to the customization, it seems that Confluence is not picking this up. We believe that it could be due a bug, so I raised a bug for it as you can see here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-31848

I would strongly suggest that you vote on this issue to increase its popularity and add it to your watchlist for future updates.

WZ

0 votes
Stephen Gramm November 5, 2013

I tried the same thing and had the same result with Confluence 5.2.5, it does not work. This method used to work fine in Confluence 4.x, but it no longer works after performing an upgrade.

Has anyone had any luck with the methods documented by Atlassian for Confluence v5.x?

Process to change the email templates

1. Shut down your test instance of Confluence.
  2. In the Confluence web application folder, find the file /confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-2.x.jar.
  3. Make a copy of this file as a backup.
  4. Learn how to edit files within .jar archives.
  5. Within the jar file, find the /templates/email folder. Find the appropriate file(s) within that folder.
  6. Edit the file with a text editor to make the required changes. The content is mostly HTML, but has some Velocity template variables in it. See Velocity Template Overview​ for more information about how these work.
  7. Again using the guide on editing files within .jar archives, either rejar the set of folders or drop the new files into the identical folder structure in the WEB-INF/classes directory.
  8. Start Confluence up again and test your changes.
  9. Apply the changes to your production Confluence instance.

The same process can be applied to modify most of the templates in the Confluence web application. For velocity files that are not in a jar file, you need not shut down and restart Confluence. Be careful to test your changes before applying them to a live site. The templates contain code that is vital for Confluence to function, and it is easy to accidentally make a change that prevents use of your site.

0 votes
Rene Duquesnoy September 19, 2013

I am having similar issues. I have changed some files in confluence-5.2.3.jar and don't see the change. For example, in templates/email/html/page-edited-notification.vm, I removed everything. Remade the jar, and put it in confluence/WEB-INF/lib. Still receiving the same content in the email on page edit. I'm expecting a blank email.

0 votes
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2013

I edit email templates and workfs perfectly. For example, to customize the footer of emails I did the folowing steps:

1) Stop Jira.

2) Edit /[FOLDER OF YOUR JIRA/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/html/includes/footer.vm

3) I put my HTML template code or editing that already exists.

4) Start Jira.

Try to modify footer.vm and tell me if works or no. Other template email changes would be made in the same way.

Hope it helps,

Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events