Custom layout leads to broken editor

We use the custom layout to add messages to a whole Confluence site to say that the server will have downtime at some evening. We have noticed today that including that breaks sometimes the layout of the editor. Here is an example:

1. Go to {{Administration > Layouts > Main Layout > Edit}}
    2. Add there at {{## HTML body begins}} the following lines of code:
<div style="color: #f33; font-size: 18px"> This system (including Subversion, Q-Base and JIRA) will go down for maintenance reasons on Aug. 8th. at 18:00.</div>

1. Go then to a normal page in the edit mode.
    2. The editor buttons (Save and Cancel) are no more visible now.

Just to illustrate the problem, I have appended two screen shots of a small (but full functional browser window). Font size is 18px, and the moment the message goes to 2 lines, the buttons are gone.

3 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 05, 2012

Hi Markus,

we create an Announcement Banner with Custom HTML (Look and Feel / Custom HTML / At end of Head) and Code like this:

<div class="aui-message info"> <span class="svg-icon info"></span> Your very important text.</div>

Cheers

Thomas

Thank's a lot for that answer, but I don't understand what it will solve. We have the problem that when the custom HTML is too high, the buttons at the bottom will be moved below the visible part of the window. So yes, we don't have the problem , if the custom HTML is small enough, but that qualifies more for a workaround ... :-)

If I remember correctly, we had the same custom HTML (but for the whole site) with Administration > Look and Feel > Custom HTML, but withe beginning of the body. At the end if head (for something visible) seems just wrong.

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 05, 2012

hmm, just wanted to show you another way of creating the announcement banner. We never had a problem with "not visible buttons", even if the announcement banner is quite large. The larger it is, the more are the buttons moving down. But I think you don't create banners with so much text that it is covering the whole screen ;-)

Please make sure that this code:

<div style="color: #f33; font-size: 18px"> This system (including Subversion, Q-Base and JIRA) will go down for maintenance reasons on Aug. 8th. at 18:00.</div>

is added after the <body> tag, i.e. after this line:

&lt;body #onLoadAttr() id="com-atlassian-confluence" class="$!theme.bodyClass $!sitemeshPage.getProperty("page.bodyClass")"&gt;

Thank's a lot for the tip, I have checked it, we have already added the above div right after the <body> tag. So that is not the reason for the broken layout.

We are having the same issue. We use the Custom HTML to hold our company logo so it has to stay a certain size to legibility. Since there isn't a scroll bar on the page edit window the bottom of the page disappears.

Is there a good description of the editor? I know confluence, stackoverflow, ... but this editor does not work well for me :-(

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

345 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you