Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a link that opens windows explorer?

Ron Houk January 3, 2018

I've read a lot of the discussions on linking to files on a network or local server, and the difficulties therein.  Even if I could get that to work, it would be insufficient for my application as the files I want people to be able to access are actually folder archives which are hard to download in full from a browser.

What I want to know is if there is a way to create a link to a server location that will open in Windows Explorer rather than whichever web browser the user happens to be using, and let the server access protocol through windows decide whether the user has sufficient access.  

Is that even possible?

3 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

Try this format for the link,  file://///unc/path/to/folder/

bruno.bobichon June 18, 2020

Hi,

it's strange, I put this format link under a picture, the first time my mouse roll over the pitcure, the cursor icon changed to URL link, but 1seconde after the cursor changed to move icon(4cross arrows) and the saved link under the picture disapeared.

my browser is chrome.

Like Philipp Rupp likes this
1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

The only browsers that will do this out of the box, are the Microsoft Browsers.

For the new Firefox, there is no extension anymore that will open links to local files, for Chrome, there is an extension.

So, if you want a browser-independent solution: no, there is none.  

Ron Houk January 3, 2018

So how would I go about it on a Microsoft Browser? I'm currently trying to create the link using the 'External Link' tool with file path file:///servername/folder/ and the link does nothing on any browser, Microsoft or not.  No errors or anything, just nothing.

Does the link need a dedicated drive letter?  Most people using this will have the server location mapped as a network drive with varying drive letter designations, so I don't know if it will work if the link requires a dedicated drive letter.

0 votes
Erik Bradson July 7, 2020

As far as I understand there is a restriction from Chrome & Firefox regarding local files. One quick way (though I understand many people don't like it) is to rely on Chrome or Firefox extension. Take a look at this extension on CWS and see if it works for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events