cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a space - Ondemand

RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

Does anyone have step-by-step instructions how to copy a space using Confluence OnDemand. There is some excellent documentation on copying a space into a new site - but what I want to do is to copy a space (so that I can capture the audit trail, frozen at a specific moment in time) and then archive it as part of a formal audit trail. I will then continue developing another version of the same space, using the same site.

The stumbling block is the error message that I get when trying to upload the exported space back to the original site: "A space with the Key XXX already exists".

Prior to uploading, I edited entities.xml to amend all reference to the old spacekey and changed them to a new, unique, spacekey. But I still got the error message.

Unfortunately, using the download version is not an option for me, so I can't use the copy space plugin.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

Hi Alex,

Did you edit the other files in the zip file too?

Best regards,

Peter

RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

Ahh ... no. Just the xml. What other files do i need to edit?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

You need to edit the exportDescriptor.properties too, it also contains a spacekey reference.

RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

Sorted, thank you.

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

You might find that copySpace from Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI) will fit your use case more easily than save/restore.

RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

Thanks for fast response - this is a one-off, so I'm quite happy to do it manually on this occasion.

0 votes
David Stephensen February 23, 2017

This was helpful! Thanks!

0 votes
Ursula Hoult December 22, 2014

Hi, I'm also trying to do this. I've done the following:

1. Done an .xml export of the Space
  2. unzipped and edited the entities and the exportDescriptor files to change the name of the Space key
  3. re-zipped the file
  4. imported the zip file

However I got the following error

"The following error(s) occurred:

The zip file did not contain an entry 'exportDescriptor.properties'. It contained: Confluence-space-export-072353-6.xml/attachments/,"  (this error went on for sometime listing attachments).

Is there a step I've missed or anything else I need to do to import a copy of the space?

Many thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events