Controlling access to Spaces via AD security groups?

glicursi March 9, 2015

Is there any way to have Confluence tie into AD security groups (not OU's).  

Basically, we would have multiple AD security groups, named Support and Developers

And we would have two spaces in Confluence, say Infrastructure and Development.

And we would want members of the Support AD group to have read/write access to Infrastructure Space and Development to have read only to the same space.

And the converse to be true for the Developers AD group.  They would have read/write to Development and read only to infrastructure.

Is there a third party tool that will make this possible?  Is it doable just using Confluence?  And the above is just one example.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2015

George,

That is utterly doable with Confluence out of the box. In the space permissions, you can set group accesses as/how you want them on any space with quite fine grained control. That is the way I do it in my shop; basically it lets me worry about making the wiki do what I want and access is automagically done as IT assigns people to their defined AD groups.

It works very well. Once you get down this path, you do need to be vigilant and make sure that space administrators aren't granting specific access to discrete people. I did run into that little problem and just do a sweep across the spaces once in a while to make sure there wasn't any "special" stuff going on.

mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events