Content dumped into wiki markup tags on upgrade

We upgraded our primary Confluence server from 3.5.16 to 5.1.1. We are in the process of upgrading our secondary Confluence server from 3.5.16 to 5.3.4. There are different macros/plugins in use on the secondary server but we're running into issues with content not migrating to the new format (like Composition, Linking, table-plus, etc.)

None of the pages have "failed" migration because a giant wiki markup box has been placed around all of the content on the page. None of the pages are marked "unmigrated-wiki-markup" either.

On several pages we removed the "float" and "link-to" markup in the hopes that we could get the rest of the page to migrate properly (info is the only macro in use, the rest of content consists of headings and tables).

We've attempted to re-migrate the content using these two different methods found in the documentation: 

Re-running the migration – for content that completely failed the migration and 

Re-attempting the migration – for content in 'unmigrated-wiki-markup' macro

with no success. 

Is there a way to force re-migration on pages that have all their content wrapped in a wiki markup box? If not, how do we migrate our content completely?

-Teresa

4 answers

0 vote

A quick clarification - when you say you're going from 3.5.16 to 5.1.1 (or 5.3.4), is there a reason you've skipped the recommended route of 3.5.16 -> 3.5.17 -> 5.0.2 -> 5.higher? Actually, I've found 3.5.15 or higher -> 5.0.2 works fine, so I'm not worried about that. But I've had exactly the same symptoms you have doing 3.5.x to 5.1 or above, and have never tried it again - always gone to 5.0.2 first.

Have you updated your plugins before content migration? I am quite sure you did, but just a re-check.

I remember we had similar issues once, and made a "force migration" tool / xwork action

classes used:

import com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.migration.BatchException;
import com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.migration.macro.ContentEntityMigrationBatchTask;
import com.atlassian.confluence.macro.xhtml.XhtmlWikiMarkupMacroMigrator;
import com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.migration.ContentDao;

and the code for force-migration was like this:

new ContentEntityMigrationBatchTask(xhtmlWikiMarkupMacroMigrator, contentDao, "Manual content migration content for pageId " + pageId).apply(entityObject, 1, 1);

where entityObject is your page with un-migrated content

Our upgrade path to 3.5.16 -> 4.3.7 -> 5.3.4. We successfully upgraded 3.5.16 -> 4.3.7 -> 5.1.1 in 2013 on our primary server. I'm not the person who does the Confluence upgrade, I handle the plugin upgrades and testing. I was not aware that there is a different recommended route. Will you point me to the where the recommended path is defined? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

280 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you