Confluence won't start

escholwin September 25, 2020

Good morning,

I've been evaluating confuence on a VM on my desktop and had a demo scheduled this morning to show it off to the new Director of IT Infrastructure at my company, but my desktop rebooted last night thanks to windows update and pulled down my confluence instance hard. I attempted to restart it, like I have a few times before, and I received the following error this morning.

JDBC exception on Hibernate data access: SQLException for SQL [n/a]; SQL state [HY000]; error code [50000]; could not extract ResultSet; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not extract ResultSet

I've checked around and I know it has to do with my evaluation copy of Confluence, but I'm unable to get in to perform any sort of steps to fix it. I've got about a weeks worth of work into creating templates and making the site/spaces presentable for my demo and in true dumbass fasion, I didn't snap the box or enable any backups of Confluence. Is there a way to restore my confluence instance in a fairly simplistic manner? Or is this going to be one of those pain in the ass migration where there's a good chance I've lost my data?

1 answer

0 votes
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2020

HI escholwin,

It looks like the app is trying to start, but can't connect to the database or the database is empty. Make sure the service for the database is running before starting (or restarting) Confluence. Cheers!

escholwin September 25, 2020

This is the evaluation version of Confluence so it's got the internal database that comes with it, not an external database, which is something I would setup if I were to purchase a license and set this up in a production environment. Was just trying to demo the software to decide whether it was somethinig our team would care to deploy or not.

Thanks 

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2020

Hi escholwin,

That really opens up the possibilities. You may want to look for other 'ERROR' or 'WARN' entries in the log that preceded the error you pointed out. You could also forego the troubleshooting by deleting the confluence.cfg.xml and removing the database/ (I think) directory from the home directory. You will need to run through the setup wizard again, but it should get you up and running. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events