Confluence upgrade on Linux using installer ( 3.5.7 - 5.0.3 - 5.5 )

MilanCiti June 5, 2014

Hello All

Few questions before upgrading Confluence 3.5.7 in test environment on Linux using installer.

So far I managed to clone production as suggested and downloaded atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.bin installer. Now

1) Will there be log with details what's has been installed/upgraded etc.. Do I need to provide some switches from command line for that purpose.

2) I can't find information how database ( in my case Oracle ) will be upgraded (if that will happen at all), even in manual upgrade it is not mentioned. Some other users already asking the same question , but there is no answer. Thank you.

3) Is it possible to skip installing java/jre at the beginning, for example I can point to our JDK1.7 directory exporting JAVA_HOME

Thank you

Milan

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2014

1. The installer offers to backup your local directory (recommended) and leaves some files lying around to tell you what it's done. The actual upgrade of your data is logged in the application log

2. Oracle will not be upgraded. Just the data within the database.

3. Yes, but you have to fiddle with the installer quite a lot and you might break something by using a different Java installation. It is FAR easier to let it install the way it wants to, and then change the environment scripts to use your local installation later.

MilanCiti June 5, 2014

Thank you Nic for your answer.

Ok, so data within database will upgraded, I was looking for that piece of information.

Regards,

Milan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2014

Yes, when you go over the 3.x barrier to 4.x, it will try to convert every page from wiki format to the new xhtml. There are other changes (couple of new tables, some other conversions) but the new storage format is the big change. There are more changes from 5.0 to 5.5, but nowhere near as big as re-writing every pages storage. All of it's handled by code, you just get a while to make tea while it runs through it all!

MilanCiti June 10, 2014

Hello Nic,

Is it Ok, to use this thread to ask more questions or I need to open another one.

I have some issues.

Regards,

Milan Stakic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2014

If the question is directly related to what you originally asked and all the information is here, probably better to ask here.

If it's not really directly related, a new question would be better. For example "I tried to upgrade from X to Y, but the macro Z does not work any more" or "I upgraded, but it won't start and I've got this error in my logs and I don't understand it"

But I think you've got what you needed here, so I'd probably go with "new question"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events