Confluence shared with registered business partners and customers + selfregistred users + anonymous

Could you please provide me with information for the following setup, where we are considering collaborating with externals.

We already have an on-premise enterprise licensed server and we want a new one in the DMZ for external access for registered users only (anonymous might be able to view some content but not create anything). I take for granted that an extra server means an extra license.

The internal server should be for internals only but certain content should be shared with externals via the DMZ-server.

How is the architecture for this setup? (links and/or PDF-documentation would be nice)

How is the approval process for self-registred externals?

Should we only rely on our LDAP for business partners and customers? And then only use self-registration for public content?

Is confluence scalable and stable enough for this scenario? Any requirements we should be aware of?

If you could guide me to a person to discuss this with it would be very much appreciated!

Best regards

Ole Kristensen

2 answers

Hi guys,

We have done scripted (programmatic) replication of content both between instances of Confluence, and between separate spaces in the same instance, and it can be achieved and works well in well-defined scenarios.

How is the approval process for self-registred externals?

With regards to the approval process for users who sign up, one would need to be developed, I think. We're currently working on implementing such functionality for another customer of ours.

Should we only rely on our LDAP for business partners and customers? And then only use self-registration for public content?

Depends on your requirements.

Is confluence scalable and stable enough for this scenario? Any requirements we should be aware of?

Really depends on what you define by "scalable" and "stable". Confluence certainly is stable (good machinery underneath), and with the right tuning and care it should scale just fine (until certain limits are reached).
But, as always, the devil is in the details, and the requirements would need to be more explicit and detailed in order for us to devise the best solution.
You're more than welcome to get in touch if you want to know more.
Cheers,
Thomas
Translucent ApS (Atlassian Expert)

Hi guys,

Is there no one that ever try to use this scenario where there are two instances that server different users but share some of the content?

Really appreciate it if you could share it here.

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

89 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you