Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence selling points as replacement for Word/Sharepoint

Peter Bunde Hansen September 22, 2017

Please give me a list of the advantages of document handling in Confluence, over Word/SharePoint (which is you will probably agree a very widespread tool selection today). We are considering shifting, but what are the main selling points? Has anybody made that shift and what were the advantages achieved?

We are an organisation that need to edit and sent to review a large amount of documents in a number of projects. We really need collaboration because there are several areas of expertice that contribute to any given document.

2 answers

2 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2017

I don't think you'll replace Word necessarily with confluence function for function.   Sharepoint has been debated many times.

In our org, we keep Sharepoint, purely as a document management system.  Confluence does all the rest - run books, projects, on screen documentation, collaborative share.   

Word, is in my opinion, allows for a richer document authoring format that you cannot accomplish in confluence.   Some teams will continue to require word.   I could see dramatic license reductions in the need for the Office suite though, especially if you're a google apps customer vs an office365 customer that includes licensing for office in a more typical enterprise E3 subscription.

Key things to focus on when selling confluence.  Information at speed.  Ease of use, Collaboration, linkage to Jira.

1 vote
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2017

Peter, there was a discussion about this a while ago and there is a lot of good information that is still applicable.  Check it out here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Confluence-vs-Sharepoint-What-s-the-difference/qaq-p/539092

Hope this helps.

-peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events