Confluence on remote server

Olegs Kanaskovs January 23, 2019

I have issues to run confluence after installation on vps server. After running ip:8090 the page doesn't load. Checked everything in terms of java, firewall, ports and etc.. Server is running on Ubuntu 18.04.

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2019

Olegs,

Does it end in an error message, or just time out? When you started Confluence, what did the logs say? Can you confirm there are no errors there? Is the home directory created properly?

Are you able to load the site from within the VPS and not outside, or neither?

Shannon

Olegs Kanaskovs January 24, 2019

Shannon,

Finally, I moved to CentOS. I tried to install confluence around 5-6 times on two different vps hostings. I did it based on official documentation and users guides. The last attempt was made based on this guide Link. Every time I install confluence and postgre sql I have the same issue. I process installation: enter my license, enter my database data and then loading starts. The loading ends with error that it was refused to connect. I can confirm that there are no errors and the home directory created properly. I am able to run the site within VPS.

My logs: Dropbox Link

Olegs Kanaskovs January 25, 2019

atlassian-confluence.log for the last attempt with attempt to use embeded database:

2019-01-25 19:26:07,687 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 6.14.0 [build 7901 based on commit hash 9eed016aaa593220cd98620fec88bcbd9fd55893] - synchrony version 2.1.0-master-9d112c9d
2019-01-25 19:26:19,042 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] earlyStartup Plugin system earlyStartup begun
2019-01-25 19:26:20,867 WARN [localhost-startStop-1] [org.twdata.pkgscanner.ExportPackageListBuilder] logDuplicateWarning Package Scanner found duplicates for package 'javax.annotation' with different versions. Files: javax.annotation-api-1.3.2.jar and jsr305-3.0.1.jar
'/home/atlassian-confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/javax.annotation-api-1.3.2.jar'
'/home/atlassian-confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/jsr305-3.0.1.jar'
2019-01-25 19:26:24,662 WARN [FelixStartLevel] [extender.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration] addDefaultDependencyFactories Gemini Blueprint extensions bundle not present, annotation processing disabled.
2019-01-25 19:26:28,280 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] logTime Plugin system earlyStartup ended
2019-01-25 19:26:28,283 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] lateStartup Plugin system lateStartup begun
2019-01-25 19:26:31,434 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] logTime Plugin system lateStartup ended
2019-01-25 19:26:33,235 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] init Confluence is ready to serve
2019-01-25 19:26:49,653 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] initWebApplicationContext Root WebApplicationContext: initialization started
2019-01-25 19:27:01,283 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] <init> Loading EhCache cache manager
2019-01-25 19:27:53,250 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] initWebApplicationContext Root WebApplicationContext: initialization completed in 63593 ms
2019-01-25 19:27:53,378 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] shutdown Preparing to shut down the plugin system
2019-01-25 19:27:53,454 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] shutdown Shutting down the plugin system
2019-01-25 19:27:54,357 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] earlyStartup Plugin system earlyStartup begun
2019-01-25 19:27:56,635 WARN [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [org.twdata.pkgscanner.ExportPackageListBuilder] logDuplicateWarning Package Scanner found duplicates for package 'javax.annotation' with different versions. Files: javax.annotation-api-1.3.2.jar and jsr305-3.0.1.jar
'/home/atlassian-confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/javax.annotation-api-1.3.2.jar'
'/home/atlassian-confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/jsr305-3.0.1.jar'
-- referer: http://145.14.157.241:8090/setup/setupdbchoice-start.action | url: /setup/setupembeddeddb-default.action | traceId: 00ada052d48c70f6 | userName: anonymous | action: setupembeddeddb-default
2019-01-25 19:28:00,750 WARN [FelixStartLevel] [extender.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration] addDefaultDependencyFactories Gemini Blueprint extensions bundle not present, annotation processing disabled.
-- referer: http://145.14.157.241:8090/setup/setupdbchoice-start.action | url: /setup/setupembeddeddb-default.action | traceId: 00ada052d48c70f6 | userName: anonymous | action: setupembeddeddb-default

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2019

Olegs,

Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately the Catalina logs are of limited help, and I'd be more interested in seeing your Confluence Server logs.

Could you completely stop Confluence, remove the setup (including home directory, if you can confirm this is a new installation), and attempt the installation again, noting the Confluence server logs and the errors occur at the exact time of:

1. Startup, and,
  2. The error message.

It will also help to know your Confluence version and Postgres version.

Regards,

Shannon

Olegs Kanaskovs January 28, 2019

Shannon,

Issue is solved now, the problem was in RAM.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2019

Olegs,

Thank you for letting me know! In case other users run into the same issue, what exactly did you change?

Regards,

Shannon

Olegs Kanaskovs February 5, 2019

Shannon,

I changed the server from one with 1GB of RAM to another one with 2GB of RAM. However, now I encounter a new issue. It suddenly stops working, I suppose due to RAM.

I already changed RAM settings as it is advised here. I increased firstly xmx to 2048, now I set it to 1537, however it looks that it doesn't help. I have currently only 2 users + mobile application of server and 4 spaces. I don't use JDK, but use built in AdoptOpenJDK.

Log files say: [2019-02-05 16:32:34,724] 2019-02-05T16:32:34.715Z Component 'Operating System' alerted 'Low free memory' (details: {"freeInMegabytes":84,"totalInMegabytes":2048,"minimumInMegabytes":256}, trigger: {"pluginKey": "not-detected"})

But, even when xmx was set to 1024 the log error was the same and application continues to use more memory than it is allocated in setenv.sh

What could you advise to me?

Regards,

Olegs

Olegs Kanaskovs February 6, 2019

I have turned off already synchrony, but it didn't help

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2019

Olegs,

Our recommended Server Hardware Requirements are as follows:

Here is our minimum hardware recommendation:

• CPU: Quad core 2GHz+ CPU
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Minimum database space: 10GB

The OS itself needs at least 2-4 GB to run, and I would advise 2 GB to run Confluence, so try to see if you can get a VPS with 4-6 GB minimum. In addition, you don't want to set your JVM memory to the maximum memory that your VPS has, because it won't have enough memory to run properly.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Olegs Kanaskovs March 24, 2019

Shannon,

I reinstalled confluence on the new server with recommended hardware. It worked well for 1 month. However, recently it suddenly stopped working. Log files don't say anything reasonable. The last time I created backup, it was said that it was created, however folders in home directory are empty. Is it possible somehow to backup data from command prompt or using postgres, because when I try to run confluence it runs like everything is alright, but connection error appears in the result. (I tried to restart apache, but it didn't help as well. Apache works properly)

Log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ywyj36u3twuxpd/atlassian-confluence.log?dl=0

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2019

Hello Olegs,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay, as I was on holiday and wasn't able to respond.

We can see that your server is set back to 1GB RAM on XMS / XMX.

Please try the following settings:

-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m

Typically the MaxMetaspaceSize parameter is not needed since Java should dynamically manage the metaspace. In your particular case based on the logs you provided, we can see some out-of-memory problems where manually limiting the metaspace might help.

Could you give that a try and let me know how it goes? Have a look at How to fix out of memory errors if you need a refresher on applying that.

Please let me know how that goes!

Regards,

Shannon

Olegs Kanaskovs April 5, 2019

Shannon,

I have changed ram settings, but it didn't help. Also, I noticed that every time I stop confluence it says that tomcat didn't stop in time. It didn't occur before when I installed confluence

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 9, 2019

Olegs,

Thank you for trying that.

I'm creating a ticket for you in our support system, so we can have a deeper look at your logs.

Check your email in just a few minutes for the ticket number. And once the issue is resolved, then please come back here to let us know what the problem was. This could help users in the future should they have the same problem.

Regards,

Shannon

Olegs Kanaskovs April 10, 2019

Dear Shannon, could you please send a ticket to oleg.kanashkov@gmail.com because the mail with a domain is not active now

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2019

Olegs,

You should just be able to login to the support portal and see the ticket under your Atlassian ID as you are logged in currently.

I tried to add your Gmail address as a participant, but it doesn't come up as having a valid Atlassian ID account.

You can create a 2nd account with that ID, or just login to your existing one and head to the support portal.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events