Confluence on demand, Wiki Page Lists - Pressing SHIFT-tab does not outdent.

John V November 20, 2012

Confluence on demand, Wiki Page Lists - Pressing SHIFT-tab does not outdent in a bulleted list, tab indents but shift tab also indents, only the gui toolbar outdent is able to outdent.

Happens with both Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 and Firefox 16.0.2

I saw this similar related issue that is noted as fixed a long time ago, but this is currently broken and repeatable for me.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFEXT-36

3 answers

0 votes
John V December 18, 2012

Well when all the computers do the same thing, maybe it is the user! It turns out that the way I press shift-tab and that works in Word does not work in Atalassian and they consider it behavior as expected.

This is the email trail with support, I still find it annoying if anyone else runs into this, please comment and then it would make sense to open an enhancement request. Otherwise, I will just accept my typing style is unique.

-------------------

ME: I did some more tests and I think I see what is happening, it is a timing issue. I am a fast typist and quickly press shift then tab and the timing is such that the shift might be lifted before the tab is lifted. This works perfectly fine in word and other programs for me, but with Confluence the shift must be held down and the tab released first, then it does outdent. If the shift is released before the tab then it just does tab. I think this is bug, but minor. I was able to outdent by holding shift longer than I normally do and then outdent works.

Atlassian: This is actually an expected behaviour of the platform in which once you are pressing "tab" and "shift" keys together then you release the "shift" key first Confluence will move the bullet to the right side and on the other hand, once you are pressing "tab" and "shift" keys together then you release the "tab" key first Confluence will move the bullet to the left.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Me: This behavior is different than all other editors I have used, once the Shift key is pressed first and then the Tab key is pressed second, it should not matter which one is then released first or last, it should outdent. Can you confirm this is the intended behavior to ignore the fact that the shift-tab combination was pressed just because the tab was released a milisecond before the shift key?

If you don't consider this a bug but I do, what is the process of filing an enhancement request?

Atlassian:

You can raise feature requests at jira.atlassian.com.

Please also refer to our Implementation of New Features Policy page:

Me:

I read the policy and I think this falls into the bug category, it is definitely not really a "new feature" for the Shift -Tab to work as it does on every other major editor, the new feature information page talks about significant enhancements or changes. So should I go to the "report a bug" page, or will that put it back to where we are here?
Did you get feedback from your developer team about the other question I asked?

Atlassian:

Apologies if I was too succinct in my previous response.

Frankly speaking with you, I believe that raising a bug report for this behavior specifically will not be something that will be addressed in the near future, considering that this is the first time I hear such misbehavior and it doesn't seems to impact the quality or integrity of Confluence.

Further to that, what I meant was that we could treat this matter as an improvement request (rather than a feature request) that would actually improve how the editor handles keyboard actions such as Shift + Tab. You can use the same process described in the Creating a Feature Request page.

Hope that makes more sense. Please let me know what you think.

0 votes
John V November 26, 2012

Peter,

Thanks, I did open a support issue, they are trying to replicate it. I have it so my broswer clears the cache every time it closes. I tried it on 2 computers, Windows XP, Windows 7, Firefox, Chrome and I get the same results.

-John V

0 votes
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2012

Hi,

Could you please try to empty your browser cache and disable all antivirus software/browser plugins temporarily and try reproducing the problem? Also, if you could try it from another computer too.

If neither of this help, I suggest you to open a support request so that the case will be investigated for you.

Cheers,

Peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events