Confluence notifications : use tiny URL or page id

Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2017

Confluence uses (by default ?) URL's to pages with the page title in notification mails. When the page title is changed, the URL in the mail end up in a dead link :-(

Is there a way to configure the mails so that Tiny URLs or page id's are used in the URL ? Why does Confluence forsee tiny URL but doesn't use it themselfs ? :-)

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

Email templates can be customized but it's not easy to do and I am not sure how you would pull the tiny URL for the page and insert it. I found this article while researching your question: Customizing Email Templates

The functionality you are looking for has been brought up before, but closed as "won't fix": Replace absolute url with tiny url in mail notification of page edit and comment

Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2017

Thanks,

Customizing ourself and putting in the tiny URL seems not obvious indeed. In addition, it is a lot of work and maintenance to solve a stupid "Bug".

Unbelievable that Atlassian recognises that an URL with the Space and Page name hardcoded is bad practice, and promotes using their "Tiny URL" for remote links. But... they do not use it themselfs and refuse to recognise it as a Bug. How far can you be from real users ?

Auke_Miedema June 30, 2017

We ran into this same problem, after sharing a page, then changing the page tile results in a broken link. This would not have happened if a tiny-url or pageid was used.

To avoid this one should be able to configure this in Confluence to always send a tiny-url of pageid url.

I think Marc is absolutely correct in his last statement!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events