Confluence not starting in Tomcat

GregS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

The following error is being thrown in catalina.out when I try starting confluence (this is a fresh install):

Nov 6, 2012 10:55:51 a.m. org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig lifecycleEvent

SEVERE: Error processing TLD files for context path /confluence

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI file:./ is not hierarchical

I Google this and the closest I could find to this error was https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=193299658 ... however, the content was different enough that before I tried this fix, I wanted to verify that this was the problem I was encountering. Also, if this is the fix, then could you please give me the syntax for how this should be set up for Confluence:

grant codeBase file:${catalina.home}/webapps/jira/- { permission java.security.AllPermission; };

I am ssh'ing remotely to the host (RHEL) on which Tomcat6 is running, so I am not accessing the Tomcat manager through localhost, but remotely.

Thanks very much in advance!

Greg--

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GregS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2012

Done! Solution was that I installed Tomacat from source code.

1 vote
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Just wanted to add for any others out there experiencing this issue that we found Tomcat was installed via a package manager for that particular system. Downloading a distribution from the Apache website cleared up the issues Confluence was experiencing.

1 vote
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

Hi Greg,

It sounds like this might be a question for our support team so we can look more in depth at the issue you're having.

The error states Tomcat is having a problem processing the files that contain your context path, which by default would be the server.xml.

I would check that the account you're using to start confluence has r/w permissions on the confluence-installation directory and the confluence.home directory. If you used one of our installers, then there will be a user created to run the confluence service which owns those two directories. If you're not starting Tomcat with that user, you may be running into this permissions error.

If this is not the case, please log a support request at http://support.atlassian.com under the confluence project so we can further assist you.

Best Regards,

Ryan Goodwin

Confluence/Crowd Support

Atlassian - San Francisco

GregS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

Hi Ryan,

I did log a support request for this. I did not use the installer. Should root be the owner? In any case, root has rwx permissions to the isntall directory...

Thanks!

Greg--

Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2012

Hi Greg,

Found your ticket here https://support.atlassian.com/browse/CSP-91135.

We'll sync up via that channel.

Best Regards,

Ryan Goodwin

Confluence/Crowd Support

Atlassian - San Francisco

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events