Confluence not rotating atlassian-confluence.log files

Philip Steiner November 1, 2017

I am concerned that the atlassian-confluence.log files are not being rotated at 20MB in size since I upgraded Confluence from v6.2.3 to v6.3.2 at the end of July 2017. 

I have Confluence installed on two independent servers, for DEV (testing) and PROD (production). 

The log file on the DEV server is now over 12GB in size, and the log file on the PROD server is over 408MB.

The log4j.properties file is identical on both servers. I have not modified this file since it was created by the upgrade installer. 

Both servers were initially set up for evaluation and testing only a couple of months prior to the upgrade from v6.2.3 to v6.3.2, so there wasn't a lot of logging output prior to the upgrade, to know if the logs were being rotated at 20MB prior to the upgrade.

Any help is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Gregor Kasmann_Actonic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

1. Check that your "<CONFLUENCE-INSTALL>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties file" contains options:

log4j.appender.confluencelog.MaxFileSize=20480KB
log4j.appender.confluencelog.MaxBackupIndex=5

2. Check log file permissions.

Philip Steiner November 1, 2017

Hi Gregor,

1. Yep, I see those two lines in both properties files.

2. The account that runs the Confluence app has read/write/execute permissions on the properties file and read/write/list on the enclosing folder (The server is Windows Server 2012) .

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events