Confluence mail sometimes send timeout

Jiannan Tang January 12, 2013

hi:

I had configed the SMTP mail, and tested sending mail well.

But sometimes send mail failed.

The log looks like from the server connecting to SMTP server timeout.

How to config the confluence and jira maile timeout minitus?

Error log:

ERROR [scheduler_Worker-1] [atlassian.core.task.AbstractErrorQueuedTaskQueue] handleException com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:191)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.send(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:71)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.mail.template.AbstractMailNotificationQueueItem.send(AbstractMailNotificationQueueItem.java:128)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.mail.template.PreRenderedMailNotificationQueueItem.send(PreRenderedMailNotificationQueueItem.java:140)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.mail.template.AbstractMailNotificationQueueItem.execute(AbstractMailNotificationQueueItem.java:99)
        at com.atlassian.core.task.AbstractErrorQueuedTaskQueue$TaskDecorator.execute(AbstractErrorQueuedTaskQueue.java:107)
        at com.atlassian.core.task.AbstractTaskQueue.flush(AbstractTaskQueue.java:45)
        at com.atlassian.core.task.AbstractErrorQueuedTaskQueue.flush(AbstractErrorQueuedTaskQueue.java:37)
        at com.atlassian.quartz.jobs.TaskQueueFlushJob.doExecute(TaskQueueFlushJob.java:32)
        at com.atlassian.quartz.jobs.AbstractJob.executeInternal(AbstractJob.java:86)
        at org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.QuartzJobBean.execute(QuartzJobBean.java:86)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.quartz.DelegatingClusterAwareQuartzJobBean.executeJob(DelegatingClusterAwareQuartzJobBean.java:16)

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Hello there,

I actually agree with Nic on this, the error you're seeing in the Confluence logs are simply indicating there's a timeout, but the root cause should be environmental. The best thing to do here is reaching your sysadmin on this to make sure everything's working fine on the network side.

Cheers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2013

I wouldn't actually bother - the reason you are getting a timeout is a network or email server problem and you really should fix that. Changing the timeout on Confluence simply makes the the email queue more on there, and potentially compounds the problem because it will be trying for longer. It might help, but it might make things worse as well, and all it does is hide the real problem. I have a feeling it's set in a config file, but also that it's a default (i.e. it's not explicitly in the config file, so the code assumes an internal default)

Jiannan Tang January 13, 2013

Hi Nic:

Where can I find the mail timeout setting. I didn't found it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2013

I have no idea - you'll need to dig through all the code to find it.

As I said though, you are probably not going to find it helps - you need to fix the connection problem, not try to bodge around it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events