Confluence in cloud + Crowd

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to integrate Crowd from a local Active Directory to authenticate users in Confluence or JIRA?

Additional question: Will Crowd support Azure AD instead of on premise AD in the near future?

Many thanks, Ben

1 answer

0 votes

No.  Cloud does not support any form of external authentication systems.  

Yet.  See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-79 for the request.

Hello Nic,

Stated by this ticket, it says that using Crowd (with AD), users can connect with SSO to Confluence and/or JIRA.

The idea is not here to have direct AD integration with JIRA, but to use Crowd for that.

Cheers, Ben

Yes, Crowd does AD integration and SSO. But you've said you're using Cloud, where you can NOT.

Hello Nic thanks for your answer.

So if I summarize:

• Crowd does AD integration & SSO, but ONLY with Server Version,
  • There is no way to use Crowd with Confluence & JIRA as Cloud versions.

Is this valid?

Many thanks, Ben 

Not quite, although the end result is the same: - Crowd does AD integration and SSO, Cloud and Server - Crowd *is* behind the user maintenance on Cloud - The end users in Cloud do *not* have the ability to connect Crowd to any other system (It's a pedantic point - you already ARE using Crowd on Cloud, but you can NOT use your AD with it)

Nick and other gurus,

Is it possible to define Crowd directory pointing to remote Crowd (cloud JIRA) and reuse cloud users for set of Atlassian products that I have to run locally? The main purpose to have a single identity to manage across both Atlassian offerings (cloud and server)

No, Cloud doesn't expose the internal users like that.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,120 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you