Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence failes to launch after upgrade from 6.15.6 to 6.15.8 [Docker]

Daniel Hilgarth August 28, 2019

I just got the security bulletin that says I should upgrade to Docker 6.15.8. I was using 6.15.6 and everything was running smoothly.

I changed my Docker compose file to use the 6.15.8 image and got this error:

BootstrapException: Unable to bootstrap application: failed to find config at: /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/confluence.cfg.xml

I have a volume that is bound to /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence, so it should reuse the existing file. And indeed, the file exists.

Changing the docker compose file back to using the 6.15.6 shows that the file is indeed still there and correct. Confluence starts up without issues.

It seems to be a permission error. Executing docker exec docker_confluence_1 ls -liash /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence shows that all files are owned by daemon.

For testing purposes I executed  docker exec docker_confluence_1 chmod 777 /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/confluence.cfg.xml and restarted the container. Checking the owner again, I notice that it is now owned by confluence.

So, I execute

docker exec docker_confluence_1 chown -R confluence /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/
docker exec docker_confluence_1 chgrp -R confluence /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/

and restart the container.

This seems to fix it.

My question is: Is my fix correct?

And: Did you guys really introduce a breaking change in a PATCH release and didn't even document it? :-(

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Hilgarth September 1, 2019

As already noted in my initial post, the fix was to change the ownership and group membership of the /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/ folder to confluence.

As I had a named volume, I executed the permission changes in the container, not on the host system:

docker exec docker_confluence_1 chown -R confluence /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/
docker exec docker_confluence_1 chgrp -R confluence /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/
0 votes
Spunkie August 31, 2019

I ran into the same trouble, and ya it's a permission issue. Here's my community post about it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Issue-when-upgrading-docker-confluence-from-6-15-7-to-6-15-8/qaq-p/1166542

A change made earlier this month switched from running the confluence appdata dir under the built in deamon user, to creating a new confluence user with uid:gid of 2002:2002 during startup and running under that. Also I'm pretty sure the confluence docker image used to always run a chown on the /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/ dir during startup to prevent issues like this but I guess that isn't working or has been removed.

Here is the specific change: https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-confluence-server/commits/00d24164db7d667f03c9d1adefeffaf81984a6ad

I don't imagine you would want to change the actual permission of the files like in your fix, it could definitely be a security issue running everything with 777.

I ended up just running chown on the host system to change the permission of the persistent volume before starting up confluence 6.15.8. I'm not sure where you have placed your persistent volume on your host but mine is mounted under /home/ec2-user/confluence/ so I ran the following cmd for a fix: 

sudo chown -R 2002:2002 /home/ec2-user/confluence/

After which I can start docker like normal and confluence 6.15.8 now works with previously created persistent volumes.

Daniel Hilgarth September 1, 2019

My fix was not to change the permission to 777. It was a test to see what Confluence would make of it.

As noted in my post, the real fix is calling chown and chgrp on that folder.

Like Spunkie likes this
Spunkie September 1, 2019

Oh yup sorry, thanks for point that out. I completely missed that your cmds weren't chmod.

0 votes
Spunkie August 31, 2019

I ran into the same trouble, and ya it's a permission issue. Here's my community post about it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Issue-when-upgrading-docker-confluence-from-6-15-7-to-6-15-8/qaq-p/1166542

A change made earlier this month switched from running the confluence appdata dir under the built in deamon user, to creating a new confluence user with uid:gid of 2002:2002 during startup and running under that. Also I'm pretty sure the confluence docker image used to always run a chown on the /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/ dir during startup to prevent issues like this but I guess that isn't working or has been removed.

Here is the specific change: https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-confluence-server/commits/00d24164db7d667f03c9d1adefeffaf81984a6ad

I don't imagine you would want to change the actual permission of the files like in your fix, it could definitely be a security issue running everything with 777.

I ended up just running chown on the host system to change the permission of the persistent volume before starting up confluence 6.15.8. I'm not sure where you have placed your persistent volume on your host but mine is mounted under /home/ec2-user/confluence/ so I ran the following cmd for a fix: 

sudo chown -R 2002:2002 /home/ec2-user/confluence/

After which I can start docker like normal and confluence 6.15.8 now works with previously created persistent volumes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events